DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Problem with alter table move

Problem with alter table move

Hi,

I have a strange problem. Normally I rebuild all the indexes that becomes invalid after 'alter table tablename move' command. Then the indexes again become valid. But since last couple of days some particular indexes have been becoming invalid after getting rebuilt and staying valid for some time after the rebuild. Please share your ideas about the incident.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by indrajit2002 View Post
    I have a strange problem. Normally I rebuild all the indexes that becomes invalid after 'alter table tablename move' command. Then the indexes again become valid. But since last couple of days some particular indexes have been becoming invalid after getting rebuilt and staying valid for some time after the rebuild. Please share your ideas about the incident.
    An index will become invalid - or unusable, only when base table's rowid values are changed. This happens when you do "alter table move", split or move table partitions, etc.

My guess is that table maintenance was not completed at the time index reorganization was initiated or, a second maintenance job was started after index reorganization got complete.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I am not clear with the point "a second maintenance job was started after index reorganization got complete". Could you please elaborate it please?

Quote Originally Posted by indrajit2002 View Post
    I am not clear with the point "a second maintenance job was started after index reorganization got complete". Could you please elaborate it please?
    Indeed I can.

I understand indexes got rebuild then after a while indexes went back to invalid/unusable state, is that correct?

If that's correct the most likely scenario is that after index rebuild process completed a process doing either "alter table move..." or "split/add partition..." or "direct path sqlloader" or "..." was executed invalidating indexes one more time. Experience and Oracle documentation say there are just few causes for index invalidation.

On the other hand, if you can prove indexes go invalid spontaneously better to open a SR with Oracle
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Got it sir . i will monitor if any other process is the culprit and will let you know.