DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rman question

rman question

We have a new database that was never backed up before. The database is in archivelog in ASM.
    We shutdown the application and want to take a full backup. There are serveral archivelogs that was never backed up. Should I just take a full rman backup and forget about the archivelogs ? If so, how do I get rid of the archivelogs after the full backup ? Thanks.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pascal01 View Post
    ... Should I just take a full rman backup and forget about the archivelogs ? If so, how do I get rid of the archivelogs after the full backup ?
    Yes, take full backup of database and archivelogs, something like this:
    Code:
    RUN
    {
      ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
      ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch2 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
      ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch3 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
      ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch4 DEVICE TYPE DISK;
      BACKUP AS COMPRESSED BACKUPSET
        DATABASE
        FORMAT = 'F:\orabackup\ORCL\%d_%t_%s_%U.bkp'
        INCLUDE CURRENT CONTROLFILE
        PLUS ARCHIVELOG DELETE INPUT;
    }
    If after this, there still remain old archive logs, you can remove them with these commands:
    Code:
    ALLOCATE CHANNEL FOR MAINTENANCE DEVICE TYPE DISK;
    CHANGE ARCHIVELOG ALL CROSSCHECK;
    DELETE NOPROMPT EXPIRED BACKUP DEVICE TYPE DISK;
    DELETE NOPROMPT OBSOLETE;
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

The application has been shutdown and there will be no activity on the database until a backup is taken. I want to avoid a large backup but be able to recove from the full backup. Can I just do a full backup without backing up the archive logs, then do 'delete archivelog all;' ?

Requirement is getting closer and closer to an old fashioned cold backup - if that's the case, shutdown the database, take a cold backup.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yes. The database at this time is used for querries only and cannot shut it down. The database is in ASM.
    I suppose a full database (level 0) without archivelogs should be OK ? Then 'delete archivelog all;' ?

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    Requirement is getting closer and closer to an old fashioned cold backup - if that's the case, shutdown the database, take a cold backup.
    If the datafiles are stored in ASM, then you need to do either a warm backup or a hot backup. You can do a warm backup without the archive logs, but you need archive logs to roll a backup forward to a future point in time. If you do a hot backup, then you are doing an inconsistent backup and you need the archive logs to make the database consistent when you restore. Either way you want to do a compressed backup with the archive logs. You can truncate the archive logs after you back them up. The commands that lkbrown posted should work for what you need. Although I don't manually allocate channels, I make RMAN do that for me.