DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which Version To Certify?

Which Version To Certify?

Hi,
    Would like an opinion from those who have received their certification...

which version would be most beneficial to certify at - 10g or 11g?

I've worked as an Oracle DBA for many years but have not taken the certification exam. Any suggestions on how to get this done fairly quickly?

Thanks!

to get it done quickly - just take the exams, if you know what you are talking about - shouldn't be a problem

Thanks for the quick response, but again, which version?

The exams cost money and it's coming out of my own pocket.

always go for the last version on the field; 11g
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I would say go for the older version (in your case). That way, not only do you get 10g, the upgrade to 11g is one test. If you start with 11g, you can't take a downgrade exam (for one, no such thing exists). More bang for the buck certification-wise by getting two for the cost of one more test. Don't forget the ILT requirement factors in for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    always go for the last version on the field; 11g
    For what reason?

Quote Originally Posted by stecal View Post
    For what reason?
    For the same reason you buy a model 2010 car if it cost the same as buying a model 2008 or 2009.

Certifications are just to show... if you get an old certification you are already obsolete, you get the latest one and it will look pretty for a little longer.

Does it makes sense?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

No, because the value of a car depreciates whereas the value of a not so much older certification reflects more experience (which may or may not be a true reflection, ignoring the debate about whether certifications are meaningful at all). Not everyone jumps to the latest and greatest version or release. I work with clients who are still using 8i.

Quote Originally Posted by stecal View Post
    I work with clients who are still using 8i.
    We still have two boxes running 7.3.4 which does not means I'll hire a 20 years old guy for having such a certification
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Thank you all for your insights...

As to the value of certifications, speaking as someone that was seeking a DBA position in the worst job market in 30 years, although I have hands-on, real-world experience implementing, upgrading, supporting Oracle databases from 7.0.16 thru 10g, I was losing jobs to individuals with the latest, greatest certification and much less experience. And, I suspect, there may have also been a cultural component involved as well, which is quite prevalent in our society, where when one is of a certain age, one is expected to move aside and quietly go crawl in a grave somewhere and wait to die, as opposed to continuing to work and grow and learn.

And so... I intend to have both, my experience and the silly piece of expensive paper, next time I have to foray out into the job market. Thus my opening question...

I'm in the process of upgrading a 9i database to 11g, so since I'm actively working with 11g I will likely take the 'new car model' approach and go for the 11g cert. But I'm not certain I will continue stuffing money in Oracle's pockets with on-going certs once I have this one.

Thank you again and best wishes to all.