DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I need clarification..

Hybrid View

my questions:
    1. If I have two instances on my box, does this mean that I have two oracle databases?

2. can I have these two instances share the same tablespace and datafile etc. what about the controlfiles.

3. can I choose which instance I want to log into, or is it transparent at this point.

thank you for your responds.

1) You have the Oracle binaries installed once, and 2 instances created (that is to say 2 SGA, all the bg processes twice ..., but only 1 ORACLE_HOME)

2) No, no, and no

3) of course, it depends on your environment variables (ORACLE_SID if you have only 1 version of Oracle installed but 2 instance)

2. This is only possible in OPS.

As Halo said, two instances sharing one tablespace is a concept of Oracle Parallel Server. This would be removed as of 9i Database. On 9i oracle, puts the OPS under the category of clusterd systems.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Re: I need clarification..

1. yes, you have two databases running then. The Oracle software is installed only once.
    But you have to instances each with its own associated database (i.e. data files, control files etc.)

2. No, each instance has its own set of datafiles control files etc.
    This would only be possible in a Parallel Server setup. Don't think you are using this.

3. You have to set your environment variable ORACLE_SID before you log in. E.g. set ORACLE_SID=DB1, then you can log into DB1: sqlplus....

hth,
    Helmut