DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to use different versions of export

Hybrid View

Angry

I have an Oracle (NT) 8.1.6 DB that I want to export data from. I want to
    import that data into an Oracle (Solaris) 8.1.5 DB. I copied the exp.exe and imp.exe plus all *.dll files from an 8.1.5 (NT) to a separate directory on the computer with 8.1.6. When I run it I get an Application Error window that says:
    The instruction at "0x..." referenced memory at "0x...". The memory could not be "written" and the program dies.

Just to see what happens I also copied the exp.exe and imp.exe + .dlls for an Oracle 8.1.7 DB to the PC w/ 8.1.6. (Eventually, the exports will be from an 8.1.7 DB) Running exp I get:

EXP-00056: ORACLE error 12560 encountered
    ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error
    EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

Of course using the export of 8.1.6. works fine. Even after getting the TNS error.

Also, I heard that it's possible to use a newer imp to load data into an older DB. I.e. Use imp 8.1.6 to load data into 8.1.5. Can anyone confirm this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! BTW, the files were all copied using a Peer-to-Peer netbui connection on two Win2K machines. And I can see the correct version numbers when the executables are run.

Hi,

I answered a very similiar question sometime ago.....If you search the archives you may find it.

However if my memory is OK it went something like this........

You can use an export file created from a later version to load into an older version if you install the Net8 and Database utilities of the newer version...(does that make sense??)

i.e. If you have an export file created from an 8.1.6 database and you want to load this into an 8.1.5 database you must install Net8 and the Database utilities from the 8.1.6 CD onto the same machine as the 8.1.5 database. (Install into a different home directory from the 8.1.5 software)

Once installed configure the 8.1.6 Net8 by including an entry in the 8.1.6 tnsnames.ora file for the 8.1.5 database.

Then set the ORACLE_HOME to the 8.1.6 installation and the ORACLE_SID to the 8.1.5 database.

Then use the 8.1.6 import utility and point it to the 8.1.5 database using the '@' sign:

imp system/manager@8.1.5databasename file=816exportfile log=logfile full=y

In short you'll have 2 installations of Oracle :
    The Original 8.1.5 installation in one Home directory and a partial (Net8 and DB Utilities) 8.1.6 installation in another Home directory. You can then use the 8.1.6 import.

I hope this makes sense!!!

Regards

Craig.

You can also look at http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p...0_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:230214032357,{export}%20and%20{version} for ideas
    Jeff Hunter