DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: move around datafile?

Arrow

Hi,

I am new for oracle- please help.
    env.- Oracle 8.0.5- archive mode.

Last week we had experienced space issue and we added 1 disk (say diskdrive-M) and then allocated 2 datafiles, one for indx tablespace and another for Data tablespace.

Disk-M is not as powful as the other disks on the server. Now I need to remove this slow disk and replace a new, powerful disks (same as the others on the server). Any suggestion for how to get this done?

Elin@trend

1, OFFLINE the tablespace which has the files you want to move.

Ex. Alter tablespace tbs_data offline immediate ;
    Alter tablespace tbs_indx offline immediate ;

Copy the files to the new disk, using OS copy.

2, IF you change the filename (say Drive letter or mount point has changed) while copying to the new disk, do the following

Ex. Alter tablespace tbs_data rename datafile "original_file_name" to "new_file_name" ;

3, Bring the tablespace online.

Ex. Alter tablespace tbs_data online ;

Hi gsprince

Thank you,

one thing couldn't get out of my mind is that before we added diskdriver-M, we don't have any performance issue. after diskdrive-M was added, system has been slow down since then. I don't think we are writing any data into diskdrive-M at all. (maybe I am wrong - any way to check out have those datafiles been used?) If they are not being used at all, can I drop them????

Thank you
    Elin@trend

If they are the only datafiles in the tablespace you can drop the entire tablespace, "NOT JUST DATAFILES".

You MUST NOT drop the datafile, unless you have the intention of dropping the tablespace.

Prince.