DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Reset redo logs

Based on the manual ORACLE8i Backup and Recovery Guide Rel 8.15 Feb 1999 (pages1-4, 1-20, 1-23, 14-33), whenever you perform an incomplete recovery, you must reset the redo logs. My question is :

When I perform an tablespace point-in-time recover(TSPITR), do I have to reset the redo logs as TSPITR seems to be a incomplete recovery if it is not recovered to the current time
    point ? If we do not need to do resetting the redo logs, how does Oracle maintain the redo logs? Does Oracle removes/clears all the change logs happened on that tablespace from the recovered time point to the current time point in the redo log files?

I would also like to know if I have to shutdown and reopen the database in order to reset the redo logs.

Another question is: Is the redo logs a database level or instance level? For example, for the parallel server, does each node/instance have its own redo logs, or the parallel server has only one redo logs that covers all nodes?

Thanks very much for your help.
    zm

An incomplete recovery cannot be done at the ts level; it can only be done at the db level, else the db becomes inconsistent. You would reset the logs upon opening the db: alter database open resetlogs (after completion of the recovery). As far as OPS iss concerned, each instance has it's own redo logs.

But it seems that you can use TSPITR to recovery different tablespaces to different time points. How does Oracle maintain the redo logs in this case?
    zm

When database is running and if you want to reset logs, Oracle will not allow you. It will say that, Only you can reset logs for incomplete recovery. Long back i got a problem with my backup script. When it is doing check sums i got errors. So i followed these steps.

SQLPLUS> alter system switch logfile;

SQLPLUS> alter system switch logfile;

SQLPLUS> shutdown imediate

SQLPLUS> startup mount

SQLPLUS> recover database until cancel

SQLPLUS> alter database open resetlogs;

Do an immediate cold backup

Hope it will help you. Good Luck
    sree