DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Enterprise manager

Hi Folks,

I have installed oracle 8i minimal install on a SCO Unix server.
    I then installed OEM Standard management pack on an Winnt server and created the repository on the SCO Server.
    Installation was succesful.

I logged into console and have got 2 folders : Groups and nodes.

I now want to manage 2 oracle databses which are on different servers. Does anyone know how I can get OEM to pick these databases up ?

Do I need to install an Intelligent agent somewhere - if so how and where (which server ?)

I tried to discover node but a node name is asked for. what is meant to be entered here ?

Can someone please give me step by step guidelines on how to pick up my databases after initial install.

Thx in advance

On the database servers start the intelligent agents. (Intelligent agents gets installed with the listeners, so you don't have to install them seperately)

lsnrctl dbsnmp_start <---- start the agent
    lsnrctl dbsnmp_status <---- status of the agent
    lsnrctl dbsnmp_stop <--- Stop the agent

Once you do that come to the OEM and choose the discover, and then there you specify the server names that has the databases one by one. That should discover the nodes for you.

Sam

[Edited by sambavan on 04-26-2001 at 11:30 AM]
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Angry

Hi Sam

I connected to a server with one of my databases on it and typed : lsnrctl dbsnmp_start

then typed : lsnrctl dbsnmp_status

and got : message 1063 not found, no message for product = network, facility =TNSLSNRCTL

I have put my server and SID in tnsnames and can connect through sqlplus.

I then logged in to OEM console and don't have many options availiable to me. I clicked on Navigator and then Discover Node, but a node name is asked for ????

How can I discover my database ?

Cheers

Suresh

The node name would be, your database server host name. (i.e. something like abcd.oracle.com ) To find out what is your database server host name, go to the server where the database lives and type "uname -a" the second column would normally display your host name server for the database.

What is your database and OEM version that you are working on? Check your tnsnames.ora file on the OEM server to see that it has the entry to the databases that you are trying to connect. IF so, you would be able to discover the node manually.

If you cannot auto discover the node, then you could manually discover those nodes using the manual radio and the SID, discover the server node.

IF YOU HAVE A TEST SYSTEM, TRY FIRST ON YOUR TEST SYSTEM: Did you use the universal installer to install the oracle. If so once again use the universal installer and check the installed products and confirm that the intelligrnt agent had been installed. If not choose the custom option and then choose the intelligent agent under listernrs and then install that and now try starting the agent.

The intelligent agent is one of the things that you require to discover your nodes automatically.

Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

Sam

[Edited by sambavan on 04-26-2001 at 12:11 PM]
    Thanx
    Sam

Smile

Hi Sam,

I have been able to discover manually and can now see my databases, when doing this I get told that I will lose some functionality - do you know what functionality will be lost ?

I may leave EM set up like this as the databses I am monitioring consist of simply tables and indexes, so I don't feel I need to have everything, altough it would be handy to know what functionality will be lost ..

Thankyou very much for your help !!

much appreciated.

Suresh

You might not be able to run any jobs against those manually discovered nodes. And most of the other oracle tools like oracle spacial index and etc. Other than that you would be fine to do any thing on the individual database level such as create a table, tablespace, etc.. and etc

Hope this would help you.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam