DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: missing tsnames data

Hi,
    I'm constantly running into the problem of re-creating tnsnames.ora any time I want to connect to a remote or local database. For example, I set up 4 services yesterday, saved them, and closed net8. When I tried to re-connect using one of the services today, I get the error ora-12154 (tns could not resolve service name). I will have to re-create the service before connecting. Does anyone know why the entries in my tnsnames.ora file are constantly deleted?

Thanks,
    Leonard905
    leonard905
    leonard905@yahoo.com

Hi Leonard905,

Most of the people do a simple mistake when they create a service with net8.

After testing your service you have to hit the FINISH button. Other why's the service won't create. I believe that this is problem. After you create the service just go to the tnsnames.ora file(Widows Exlporer, Not with NET8) and check the services are existing in the file. Good Luck
    sree

That's not the problem. I always hit finish and save the network configuration to the tnsnames.ora on /orahome/network/admin directory.
    leonard905
    leonard905@yahoo.com

Thumbs up Check disk space.

I guess you are running Unix (Client Side).
    Check disk space.

Could you please give us the
    Database, Operating system version details. If you give me that details i will send you the sample tnsnames.ora. Without using net8 directly we can change the entry's in tnsnames.ora. After that we can see some more possibilities.
    sree