DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: to all DBAS:Oracle standards ?

Hello
    I have been given the task of figuring out Oracle standards and i needed some guidance from you all.

I am looking for a guideline of what type of standards i should have with Oracle. from file system to mountpoints to
    monitoring etc,.

thanks
    Jigar
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

What kind of standards? For database installation, you should definitely follow OFA http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...tro.htm#10463.

If you are looking for object naming standards, that is really site dependant.
    Jeff Hunter

i am not looking for OFA but basic standards.. analyze table on this day, check for this, mount points should be named after the instance name etc.

There is no hard and fast rule on oracle that you have to do things by this way only. As Jeff suggested, OFA is the best bet to undestand how oracle would start placing things be default. To have more idea on the mount points just refer the installation maual for your platform of choice.

Other than that of backupup, analyzing and etc depends on your shops requirements. There are a number of backup startegies available under technet.oracle.com.

Good luck

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

i understand that but i need some suggestions as far as what you follow. Oracle should be standard thruout company.l

I can't speak to the rest of your issues, but as far as analyzing tables go...

Each database will have a different schedule. This is not something that you can create a hard-and-fast rule for, at least not an in-flexible one.

Something you *might* consider is:

- A nightly job that analyzes the *extremely* dynamic tables.
    - A weekly job that analyzes the *average* dynamic tables.
    - A monthly job that analyzes all tables.

Then, you could decide on a database-by-database basis which tables fall into which categories.

Just a thought,

- Chris

To give you more information, it would be good if you could say what you are looking for. Since your question was wague, it is really hard to speak in each and every prospective point of views. The best way would be, that you tell us what kind of issues that you are looking for and then we can try to come up with exploring the topics.

Try to disect your issues into multiple parts and ask the questions on them one by one in an orderly manner. That would help you to u.stand each area in detail and you can have it as a reference too.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Originally posted by jlakhani
    Oracle should be standard thruout company.l
    I disagree. Each and every database has different requirements as to the volume of data, update frequency, time to recover, etc., etc. Without more specifics, the answer is "It Depends."

In a heavy OLTP shop where a large percentage of the data changes daily, an analyze every night would not be unreasonable. In an OLTP shop where only a small percentage of the data changes on a daily basis, analyzing once a week may be sufficient.

I prefer that all production OLTP database be backed up at least once a day. DW should be backed up after the data changes.
    Jeff Hunter