DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How will u alter the processes

Connection Manager=Connection pooling

Hi, 25th April 2001 16:41 hrs chennai

By using Connection Manager and connection Pooling you can greatly enhance the performance as stated below.

Please go in to its furhter detail from Oracle Docs .I am sure MTS will greatly solve your problem by using this 2 methods.

If idle sessions are there it is automatically disconnected Logically which are utilized by some other users mean time.
    -------------------------
    Oracle Connection Manager enables you to take advantage of Net8's ability to multiplex or funnel multiple logical client network sessions through a single transport connection to a multi-threaded server destination. This is accomplished through Oracle Connection Manager's connection concentration feature.

Connection Pooling
    ============
    Connection pooling is a resource utilization feature that allows you to maximize the number of physical network connections to a multi-threaded server. This is achieved by sharing or pooling a dispatcher's set of connections among multiple client processes.

By using a time-out mechanism to temporarily release transport connections that have been idle for a specified period of time,
    connection pooling makes these physical connections available for incoming clients, while still maintaining a logical session with the previous idle connection. When the idle client has more work to do, the physical connection is reestablished with the dispatcher.

This feature only works when multi-threaded server is configured.

Cheers

Padmam
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Hi,

Thanks for Your help. but I alwys felt that my database was a datawarehouse and not a OLTP as it mostly aims to provide useful information to the surfers. The surfers will no doubt make a few transactions too but this will be few (at least initially).

More so even if I use MTS I do not understand as to how to make jsp (used to develop the site pages) connect to the database using the connect string defined in tnsnames.ora. It (jsp) needs to connect to database directly bypassing the connect string so even if I go about implementing MTS I feel it won't be utilised.

My platform: Linux6.2, Oracle8i, Apache 1.3, Jakarta-Tomcat 3.2.1

Shruti

[Edited by ShrutiM on 04-26-2001 at 10:04 AM]

Solution

Hi, 26th April 2001 19:41 hrs chennai

I have posted the solution already i dont know have that got removed.

OK coming to your problem.

Using the connection Pooling and connection manger you can considerably come over the problem.

Actually connection pooling logically disconnects the user process while serving other user request .

Here it goes like this from oracle docs.
    =========================
    Connection pooling is a resource utilization feature that allows you to maximize the number of physical network connections to a multi-threaded server. This is achieved by sharing or pooling a dispatcher's set of connections among multiple client processes.

By using a time-out mechanism to temporarily release transport connections that have been idle for a specified period of time, connection pooling makes these physical connections available for incoming clients, while still maintaining a logical session with the previous idle connection. When the idle client has more work to do, the physical connection is reestablished with the dispatcher.

Oracle Connection Manager enables you to take advantage of Net8's ability to multiplex or funnel multiple client network sessions through a single transport protocol connection to a multi-threaded server destination.

Concentration reduces the demand on resources needed to maintain multiple connections between two processes by enabling the server to use fewer connection end points for incoming requests. This enables you to increase the total number of network sessions that a server can handle. By using multiple Connection Managers, it is possible for thousands of concurrent users to connect to a server.
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Connection Pooling

Hi Shruti, 26th April 2001 19:45 hrs chennai

I have already posted a solution for this i dont know how that got removed.

Ok again i am posting the details.

Actually connection Pooling logically disconnects the ideal user connections while serving the other users.

Here it goes like this from oracle Docs

Connection pooling is a resource utilization feature that allows you to maximize the number of physical network connections to a multi threaded server. This is achieved by sharing or pooling a dispatcher's set of connections among multiple client processes.

By using a time-out mechanism to temporarily release transport connections that have been idle for a specified period of time, connection pooling makes these physical connections available for incoming clients, while still maintaining a logical session with the previous idle connection. When the idle client has more work to do, the physical connection is reestablished with the dispatcher.

Oracle Connection Manager enables you to take advantage of Net8's ability to multiplex or funnel multiple client network sessions through a single transport protocol connection to a multi-threaded server destination.

Concentration reduces the demand on resources needed to maintain multiple connections between two processes by enabling the server to use fewer connection end points for incoming requests. This enables you to increase the total number of network sessions that a server can handle. By using multiple Connection Managers, it is possible for thousands of concurrent users to connect to a server.

Connection manager

Hi, 26th April 2001 20:02 hrs chennai

I dont know what happened to my earlier posting i gave as solution which is now missing on this thread.

Any how Connection pooling can greatly help you to tide over your problem.

This feature is only with MTS.

Coonection pooling logically disconnects the idle users while serving the other users.

More information from Oracle DOCS as below.

Cheers

Padmam
    ================

Connection Concentration Oracle Connection Manager enables you to take advantage of Net8's ability to multiplex or funnel multiple client network sessions through a single transport protocol connection to a multi-threaded server destination.

What padmam says would work good for the web based applications. There are some other parameters that you could twigue to increase, one of them is # of sessions too.

No coming to the point of MTS, MTS would help you to solve your problem. On your jsp, you have to check for the connection state to safe guard from the jsp errors, I beleive. Our Shop uses weblogic server in the front end and the 8i oracle. One of the other things that you really really want to be care full is that you do not want to set the profile for any users' idle time fram. This would majorly confuse the MTS and MTS on seeing the dead threads would dump them with ORA-600s. One other thing is that it would sometime even dump the dispatcher threads, which would force you to bounce your instance, to recover.

Oracle has not yet come up with a fix for this problem and hope it would get fixed soon.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thanks, but I still wonder will this MTS work even if the webpages made in jsp interact with Oracle Database directly (not using the connect string defined in tnsnames.ora). 'cause jsp connects to oracle without using the connect string.

The user connection doesn't know what type of connection it is getting to the database. As a result, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

will try MTS

Thanks to you all this help.

Surely I'll try the MTS and will get back in case of any problems.
    Any suggestions? how to go about it... or any precautions to be taken.

Shruti