DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help Me Explain to my Boss

we're a small shop running Standard. My boss want to have synchronized backup every three minutes. We were doing exports and imports but the imports were causing the backup system dbf to grow. I've set up a standby but I need to understand the implications of causing an archive every 3 minutes. We can't afford OPS or advanced replication which is what he really wants. What are the parameters involved re: how often an online group is archived? Also, I've seen suggestions not to apply the 3 most recent archived logs b/c they still might active? This confuses me - b/c if something is archived how can writes still go to it? Maybe it's best to continue exporting every 3 minutes and import once a day and/or when needed. Thx for any help folks.

ARCHIVED MODE=LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST

Hi, 24th April 2001 20:44 hrs chennai

When you have several options which oracle automatically gives security to your data by backing up i dont know why there is a need for every 3 minutes back up.

One way you can add security is by including the parameter

LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST which will ensure that your archived logs are stored in multiple disks.

and ensuring all this are properly going through another parameter LOG_ARCHIVED_MIN_SUCCED_DEST (check the spelling mistake please)

When your archived logs are secure in multiple destinations its more over like a good back up.

If i am wrong i would like to know more information from your requirement.

Cheers

Padmam

Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

You also have to set the standby_archive_dest, log_file_name_convert, inconjunction with padmam's suggestion.

I'm still curious about my post on your thread

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...?threadid=9749

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

thx for the replies guys -

i guess what we're trying to do is create a replicated database without paying for. I suggested Standby but maybe I made the wrong decision. We don't have a lot activity at our site yet so our redo logs are not getting archived that quickly. Thus, for example, say the total production box is fried, we lose everything from the last archive.

sambavan - Standard allows standby but you have to manually apply the archive logs

if you worry about the imports were causing the backup system dbf to grow, archive every 3 min will make your
    control file grow "much faster". unless either you use 7x, or set maxloghis to 0 (check spelling pls).

Answering to question of jm, you could set the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME = #days. This would help you to keep the conftrol file from growing wild.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Originally posted by sukimac
    thx for the replies guys -

i guess what we're trying to do is create a replicated database without paying for. I suggested Standby but maybe I made the wrong decision. We don't have a lot activity at our site yet so our redo logs are not getting archived that quickly. Thus, for example, say the total production box is fried, we lose everything from the last archive.

sambavan - Standard allows standby but you have to manually apply the archive logs

Managers, can't live with them, can't kill them...

You can setup a cron job that goes out every 3 minutes and forces a log switch. That way, you will guarantee that a log will be generated every three minutes...
    Jeff Hunter

thx marist89 - that's what wanted to do with the standby but I'm trying to determine which is more of a headache and/or performance issue - causings a log switch every 3 minutes or export every 3 mins?

exports every 3 minutes are a bigger headache than log switches - also a "little" more overhead with exports.