DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I Can't connect to the database

Question

Hi, Eeveribody:

We are running OPS database in exlusive mode in one node in a 7x24 System, with Oracle 8i Release 8.1.6.2.0, Sun Solaris 2.6 with raw devices, and MTS server. We have disabled OPS, by the moment; and we're working only with one node. Lately, We are getting the following error from SQL*PLUS:
    ORA-29723 Failed to attach to the DML (status=21), and I cant' get a new connection. In the alert's file I see frecuently the following message: WARNING: ran out of shared pool for DLM process object. And after that the message Timed out trying to start shared server Snnn. This warning doesn't generate any trace file.

Accord to the note:124470.1 of Metalink, the solution is increase the _lm_procs parameter in the init.ora and restart the database.

If I execute the query SELECT * FROM v$resource_limit; I can see

RESOURCE_NAME CURRENT_UTILIZATION MAX_UTILIZATION INITIAL_AL LIMIT_VALU
    ------------------------------ ------------------- --------------- ---------- ----------
    _lm_procs 127 127 127 127

Actually, We are planning to restart the DB, but don't know exactly :

1.- Which value could be enought for this parameter?
    2.- Are there another parameter's value to consider after this change?
    3.- What's the difference between _lm_procs and lm_procs (Because I've heard that's the _lm_procs is not supported by ORACLE?)

Thanks a lot for your help.

I'm apologize for my English.

If you want to just connect to the database I would consider connecting in dedicated sever mode. You can achieve this by adding a new service name that specifies a dedicated server connection. This may or may fix your short or long-term problem, but I thought I would give you an alertnative.

Originally posted by Zaggy
    If you want to just connect to the database I would consider connecting in dedicated sever mode. You can achieve this by adding a new service name that specifies a dedicated server connection. This may or may fix your short or long-term problem, but I thought I would give you an alertnative.

Thanks for your suggestion Zaggy, but at this time we are working with Oracle Applications 11i and the MST Server Had been working fine with this. A few days ago, we disabled the MTS for a day, and the DB was very, very slow.