DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Install Oracle8i (8.1.7) on Solaris 8

Hybrid View

I want to install Oracle 8i (8.1.7) Enterprise Edition on SUN Solaris 8. The Installation Guide I got contains some information about Operating System Software Requirements such as the required operating system patch for Solaris2.6 or 7. I was wondering where I can get the similar information for Solaris 8. What operating system patch do I need for Solaris 8?

Thanks for any help
    zm

To be on the safer side go to the Sun's site and gather all the patches and apply to your system before you proceed with the installation.

Otherwise put a posting on the metalink forum and you would get the information on the required patches for Solaris 2.8 from the Oracle Support.

If you do not have a metalink access, please let me know, I'll set the posting and get you the reply.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi Sam,

Thanks very much for your kind help.

Unfortunately, I don't have a metalink access. It will be hightly appreciated if you could set a post for me (or let me know how I can access the metalink forum). You can send me email (mzhu@salescentrix.com) if you want.

Thanks again.
    zm

Sure I have posted a note at oracle forums and shall get you the informations once it is available.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Here is the reply that I have got for the 8i from oracle support

Hi,

No OS patches are recommended to install 8.1.7 on Solaris 8.
    Having said that, you should anyway consider installing patches
    that are recommended by the OS vendor.
    Jumbo Kernel Patches are contained in patch clusters. You can download
    patch clusters or the related READMEs from sunsolve:

http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/show...s/patch-access

- Jaikishan
    Oracle Support Services

Hope this would help you out.
    Thanx
    Sam

I thought this might also be helpful to you in many ways.

Bookmark
    Go to End

Oracle8i Release Notes
    Release 3 (8.1.7) for Sun SPARC Solaris
    Part Number A86565-01

*** This is a copy of the 8.1.7 "relnote.htm" file from the 8.1.7.0 CD for Sun SPARC Solaris
    Any additional support notes added to this document are shown in Red Italics

These Release Notes contain important last minute information not included in the documentation library of your Oracle8i for Sun SPARC Solaris Online Documentation CD-ROM.
    For generic Alerts and information about 8.1.7 see [NOTE:120607.1]

This document contains these topics:

Hardware Requirements

Operating System Requirements

Documentation

SPX Protocol Adapter Desupport

Default JDBC Driver Behavior

Use of Single-Task Linking for Large Exports/Imports and SQL*Loader Jobs

Installation Issues

System Management Products

Oracle Parallel Server

Legato Storage Manager Deinstallation

Heterogeneous Services Agent Control Utility

Hardware Requirements

The following hardware is required to install Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) on Sun SPARC Solaris systems.

System Requirements

Hardware
    Requirements
    Memory
    A minimum of 128 MB RAM is required to install Oracle8i products. Oracle8i Client products require 64 MB of RAM
    Swap Space
    Twice the amount of RAM or at least 400 MB, whichever is greater, is recommended for most systems.
    CD-ROM Device
    A CD-ROM drive supported by Solaris is required. Oracle uses ISO 9660 format CD-ROM disks with RockRidge extensions.

Disk Space Requirements

Disk space requirements differ depending on which products included with Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) you choose to install on your system. See the Oracle8i Installation Guide for complete
    details. Disk space requirements do not account for the size of your database. A production Oracle database server supporting many users requires significantly greater disk space and
    memory.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition

Installation Type
    Required Disk Space
    Typical
    1160 MB
    Minimal
    985 MB
    Custom
    Up to a maximum of 1355 MB

Oracle8i Management Infrastructure

Installation Type
    Required Disk Space
    Oracle Management Server
    395 MB
    Oracle Internet Directory
    810 MB
    Oracle Integration Server
    930 MB
    Custom
    Up to a maximum of 1245 MB

Oracle8i Client

Installation Type
    Required Disk Space
    Administrator
    435 MB
    Programmer
    320 MB
    Application User
    230 MB
    Custom
    Up to a maximum of 440 MB

Operating System Requirements

To install Oracle8i products included with this release, your Sun SPARC Solaris system must meet the operating system requirements listed in the following table.

OS Software
    Requirements
    Operating System
    Solaris 2.6, Solaris 7 or Solaris 8
    Operating System Patch
    Use the latest kernel patch from Sun Microsystems. Sun provides patch information at:

http://sunsolve.sun.com

Solaris 2.6 requires at least kernel jumbo patch revision #105181-15 for successful installation of Release 3 (8.1.7).

See the tables in "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)" for patches required on Solaris for the JRE.
    Operating System Packages
    SUNWarc, SUNWbtool, SUNWhea, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
    Window Manager
    X-windows must be installed on the system from where the Installer is run. Use any Sun-supported X-windows server, for example, dtwm, twm, olwm, that supports
    Motif.

Character mode installs are not supported for Release 3 (8.1.7). See Chapter 3 of the Oracle8i Installation Guide for information on non-interactive installation.
    Required Executables
    The following executables must be present in the /usr/ccs/bin directory: make, ar, ld, nm.

Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

The JRE shipped with Oracle8i is used by Oracle Java applications such as Oracle Universal Installer and is the only one supported to run with these applications. Customers should not
    modify this JRE, unless it is done through a patch provided by Oracle Support Services.

The Solaris patches listed in the two following tables are required or recommended for JRE 1.1.8_10 and can be obtained from:

Patch ID
    Description
    Required or Recommended?
    106040-11
    X Input and Output Method patch
    Required
    105181-15
    Kernel patch
    Required
    105284-25
    Motif Runtime Library Patch
    Recommended
    105490-07
    Dynamic linker patch
    Recommended
    106409-01
    Chinese TrueType fonts patch (1)
    Recommended
    105633-21
    OpenWindows 3.6: Xsun patch (1)
    Recommended
    105568-13
    Libthread patch
    Recommended
    105210-19
    LibC patch
    Recommended
    105669-07
    CDE 1.2: libDTSvc patch (dtmail)
    Recommended

Patch ID
    Description
    Required or Recommended?
    107636-01
    X Input and Output Method patch
    Required
    106980-05
    Libthread patch
    Recommended
    107607-01
    Motif fontlist, fontset, libxm
    Recommended
    107078-10
    Open Windows 3.6.1 Xsun patch (1)
    Recommended

Java Development Kit (JDK)

With Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) Oracle ships a version of Sun Microsystems Java Development Kit (JDK) for use with the Oracle HTTP Server powered by Apache. This JDK is the only one
    supported to run with the Oracle HTTP Server. Customers should not modify this JDK unless it is done through a patch provided by Oracle Support Services.

The Solaris patches listed in the following tables are required or recommended for the JDK 1.2.2.0005 and can be obtained from:

Patch ID
    Description
    Required or Recommended?
    105490-07
    Linker Patch
    Required
    105568-16
    Libthread Patch
    Required
    105210-27
    LibC Patch
    Required
    106040-13
    X Input & Output Method Patch
    Required
    105633-36
    Open Windows 3.6: Xsun Patch (1)
    Required
    106409-01
    Fixes the Chinese True Type fonts (2)
    Required
    108091-03
    SunOS 5.6: ssJDK1.2.1_03 fails w/ fatal error in ISO8859-01 Locales (3)
    Required
    105181-19
    Kernel update (socket close/hang)
    Recommended
    105669-10
    CDE 1.2: libDTSvc Patch (dtmail)
    Recommended
    105284-31
    Motif 1.2.7: Runtime library patch
    Recommended

Patch ID
    Description
    Required or Recommended?
    106980-10
    Libthread Patch
    Required
    107636-03
    X Input & Output Method Patch
    Required
    107081-11
    Motif 1.2.7 and 2.1.1: Runtime library patch for Solaris 7
    Required
    108376-03
    Open Windows 3.6.1 Xsun Patch (1)
    Required

Documentation

This section contains these topics:

Oracle Applications InterConnect Installation

Important: Additional READMEs

Platform-Specific Documentation

Online Support

Revised, New, and Obsoleted Documentation for Release 8.1.7

Oracle Applications InterConnect Installation

The Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) Installation Guide contains only basic information pertaining to the Oracle Applications InterConnect (OAI) install. OAI is a new feature in Release 3 (8.1.7) that is
    being packaged as part of the Oracle Integration Server, a suite of products designed to integrate and facilitate communication among various applications comprising an e-business (including
    CRM, ERP, business-to-business Internet marketplaces, and auction sites). To access more specific information regarding the OAI installation, please refer to the OAI Installation Guide,
    located off the root of the installation media in:

/doc/oai/oaiig313.pdf

Important: Additional READMEs

Additional product README files are located in the product subdirectories under the ORACLE_HOME directory or in the /ORACLE_HOME/relnotes directory.

Platform-Specific Documentation

The Oracle8i Administrator's Reference for Sun SPARC Solaris, and the Oracle8i Installation Guide for Sun SPARC Solaris are available online on the Oracle8i software CD-ROM. To access
    the documentation in HTML and PDF formats, use a web browser to open the index.htm file at the top level of the Oracle8i CD-ROM. This file contains links to product and Solaris-specific
    documentation.

Online Support

The following websites have the most current information about products included with this release:

http://www.oracle.com/support

http://technet.oracle.com

Revised, New, and Obsoleted Documentation for Release 8.1.7

The Oracle8i for Sun SPARC Solaris Online Documentation CD-ROM contains guides listed as release 8.1.6 and 8.1.7. Only guides listed as release 8.1.7 have been updated since release
    8.1.6. Guides listed as release 8.1.6 have not been revised, however, updates to some of these 8.1.6 guides may be included in:

These Release Notes

Oracle8i Documentation Addendum

SPX Protocol Adapter Desupport

In Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7), Oracle is no longer shipping the SPX protocol adapter on Sun SPARC Solaris. This will disable Solaris client connections to a database from being carried out over
    Novell's SPX protocol. The SPX protocol adapter will still be shipped for Windows clients connecting to databases deployed on Solaris.

Default JDBC Driver Behavior

In Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) the default behavior for the ResultSet::getXXXStream() APIs have been modified to comply with the JDBC specification so that they return null values for database null
    LONG/LONG RAW values. In earlier versions of the 8.1.x JDBC drivers, the default behavior was to return the empty stream for database null values. To restore the earlier JDBC default behavior when
    using the 8.1.7 drivers, you must use the Java property jdbc.backward_compatible_to_8.1.6. For example, if this Java property is set at the virtual machine runtime, the command

java -Djdbc.backward_compatible_to_8.1.6 myJavaProgram

will cause the 8.1.7 JDBC drivers to return empty streams from calls to ResultSet::getXXXStream().

The jdbc.backward_compatible_to_8.1.6 Java property applies to 8.1.7 JDBC Thin driver and OCI driver.

Use of Single-Task Linking for Large Exports/Imports and SQL*Loader Jobs

If you need to transfer large amounts of data between the user and Oracle8i (for example, using export/import), it is efficient to use single-task architecture. To make the single-task import
    (impst), export (expst), and SQL*Loader (sqlldrst) executables, use the ins_rdbms.mk makefile in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib directory.

The following example makes the impst, expst, and sqlldrst executables:

$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
    $ make -f ins_rdbms.mk singletask

Note:

Linking Oracle executables as single-task allows a user process to directly access the entire SGA. In addition, running single-task requires more
    memory because the oracle executable text is no longer shared between the front-end and background processes.

Installation Issues

Using Hummingbird Exceed

New ORACLE_HOME

Backing Up the root.sh Script

Non-Interactive Installation

Required Support Files Drop-In Compatibility

Known Upgrade Issues

Multi-CD Issues

Oracle8i Management and Integration Custom Installation

Oracle Universal Installer: Known Problems, Restrictions, and Workarounds

Ejecting the Software CD-ROM

Installing the Pro*COBOL v8.1.7 Precompiler

Deinstallation

Using Hummingbird Exceed

If you are using Hummingbird's Exceed X windows emulator while installing and using Oracle8i, set the window manager to run in "Native" mode so that Microsoft Windows functions as the
    window manager. See your Exceed documentation for instructions on configuring the window manager.

While Oracle supports the use of Exceed for installing and configuring products, users should be aware of the following common problems with using this X Windows Emulator for installation:

1.There is a bug in the way Exceed handles screen coordinates. The installer window and related installer dialogs or configuration assistants may encounter display problems when run
    through the emulator. These display problems may include the sudden truncation of the main window when clicking the [Next] button during the install, rendering the screen unreadable, or
    the expansion of an installer window such that the dialog buttons are displayed off the screen and are thus not selectable with a mouse. In such cases, users must exit the entire X
    Windows session and start a new session to fix the problem. Opening a new shell and re-running the installer from the shell does not fix the problem.

2.There are consistent display problems with the AQ Database Information dialog which is part of the Oracle Applications InterConnect installation. The last text field on this dialog which
    prompts for "Consumer Name:" appears truncated when viewed through Exceed. This dialog displays as expected when viewed through native X Windows on Sun SPARC Solaris.

To correct any problems with hidden dialog fields such as that indicated in (2) above, try the following:

1.Select the xconfig application under the Exceed Program Group from the Windows Start Menu.

2.Select the "Fonts" Applet.

3.Click the [Font Database] button in the "Font Settings" dialog box.

4.Uncheck the "Automatic Font Substitution" option in the "Font Database" dialog box.

5.Click the [Add...] button. The "Add Font Directory" dialog box is displayed.

6.Click the [Server] radio button in the "Add Font Directory" dialog box.

7.Enter the hostname for your machine in the "Host Name" field in the "Add Font Server" dialog box. Leave all the other entries at their default settings.

8.Click [OK] and [Close] on all dialogs to save the settings.

New ORACLE_HOME

Oracle Corporation recommends that you install Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) products into a new ORACLE_HOME. Do not install Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) into an ORACLE_HOME directory that
    already contains Oracle products.

If you must install Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) into an ORACLE_HOME that contains 8.1.5 or 8.1.6 products, remove these products with Oracle Universal Installer.

Backing Up the root.sh Script

If you install another product category, such as Oracle8i Management Infrastructure, after the successful installation of Oracle8i Server into the same ORACLE_HOME, Oracle Universal
    Installer will delete the content of the root.sh script during the course of the installation. Before beginning the installation, backup the root.sh script.

$ cp root.sh root.sh.save

If you require the original root.sh script, you can recover it from the root.sh.save file.

Non-Interactive Installation

Be aware of the following issues when running the Oracle Universal Installer in non-interactive mode.

Character Mode

Installation can no longer be performed using character mode. However, you can configure Oracle Universal Installer to perform a non-interactive installation of Oracle products. The Installer
    can be run in non-interactive mode directly from your system's X-windows console or via an X-terminal or PC X-terminal on a remote system. For more information on the non-interactive
    installation of Oracle products, see "Non-Interactive Installation and Configuration" in the Oracle8i Installation Guide.

First Time Installation in Silent Mode

If you will perform the first installation of Oracle products on a system with Oracle Universal Installer running in silent mode, you must run a script to create the oraInst.loc file. The script to create
    this file is /tmp/orainstRoot.sh. This script will be created when you try to run the Installer for the first time.

See /tmp/silentInstall.log for information about running orainstRoot.sh. Before creating this file, read and complete the tasks detailed in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 of the Oracle8i Installation Guide.

Required Support Files Drop-In Compatibility

In Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7), Oracle is supporting drop-in compatibility of the 8.1.7 client-side libraries on top of the 8.1.6 client-side libraries. This means that applications and tools running in
    the same ORACLE_HOME as these 8.1.6 client-side libraries will not encounter runtime errors if the libraries are upgraded to 8.1.7 during an install. However, drop-in compatibility is not
    supported for client-side libraries being used by a database or listener. If an attempt to upgrade the 8.1.6 client-side libraries is made in the same ORACLE_HOME as an Oracle8i Release 2
    (8.1.6) database or listener, and the database or listener is not also upgraded to 8.1.7, the 8.1.6 versions of the database or listener will be broken. If you want to keep the older versions of the
    database or listener intact, you must install Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) in a new ORACLE_HOME.

Known Upgrade Issues

Bug 1344446

An attempt to upgrade an Oracle8i Release 2 (8.1.6) database to a Release 3 (8.1.7) database in the same ORACLE_HOME produces ignorable installation runtime errors that occur during the
    deinstallation of the 8.1.6 software.

Oracle Universal Installer treats a software upgrade as a deinstall of the old software followed by an install of the new software. The errors that occur during upgrade in the same
    ORACLE_HOME appear as relinking errors in the RDBMS and Net8 Server. Since these errors are relinking errors that occur during the deinstall of the 8.1.6 software and since the affected files
    will be replaced and relinked again when the 8.1.7 software is installed, these errors can be safely ignored.

During upgrade of the software, Oracle Universal Installer will display error dialogs with the following messages:

1.Error in invoking target ioracle of make file /rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk

2.Error in invoking target install of makefile /network/lib/ins_net_server.mk

Clicking the [Ignore] button on each of these dialogs will allow the installation to continue.

Avoid these errors by installing the Release 3 (8.1.7) software into a new ORACLE_HOME, then performing the data upgrade as usual.

Enabling and disabling system triggers

Before performing either a manual database upgrade or an automated database upgrade using Oracle Data Migration Assistant, you must first set _SYSTEM_TRIG_ENABLED = FALSE in the initialization
    parameter file. After completing the database portion of the upgrade, you must either remove _SYSTEM_TRIG_ENABLED from the initialization parameter file or explicitly set it to TRUE before attempting any
    other upgrade steps such as upgrading Oracle JServer. Refer to the Oracle8i Migration book for more information about upgrade and migration.

Multi-CD Issues

Oracle Support recommends that you use the method below to install 8.1.7.0 otherwise you will encounter multi-CD install problems as documented in [NOTE:120801.1].

An attempt to install Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) directly from the installation media requires customers to switch between CD 1 and CD 2 during the middle of an installation session to complete a
    full install. To avoid having to switch between CDs, copy the contents of each CD to the hard drive and run the Installer from the new location. Copy the contents of each CD in the directory
    structure as follows:

Disk1/

Disk2/

If the contents of each CD are copied into this structure on the hard drive, Oracle Universal Installer automatically finds the contents of each CD and does not prompt for the location of either
    CD during the course of installation.

Oracle8i Management and Integration Custom Installation

It is not possible to install and configure Oracle Internet Directory (OiD) and Oracle Workflow in the same installation session during a custom install of Oracle8i Management and Integration. If
    you perform such an installation and choose to install both OiD and Oracle Workflow, the OiD Configuration Assistant will be launched during post-installation to configure OiD in the database,
    and Oracle Workflow configuration will not be performed.

To configure Oracle Workflow after completion of the installation session, perform the following steps:

1.Exit the Oracle Universal Installer at the end of the installation.

2.Run the Oracle Workflow configuration script manually. To do this, change directories to $ORACLE_HOME/wf/install, and enter the following command:

$ inst252 INSTALL

where:

wf_acct = workflow account. Use OWF_MGR

wf_pwd = password@db for workflow account. Use OWF_MGR

wf_home = workflow top level directory, e.g. $ORACLE_HOME/wf

sys_pwd = password@db for SYS account, e.g. change_on_install@wfdb

system_pwd = password@db for SYSTEM account, e.g. manager@wfdb

Oracle Universal Installer: Known Problems, Restrictions, and Workarounds

Ignore the following error when upgrading from release 8.0.x to 8.1.7. Despite the error message, the upgrade has completed successfully. Note that the error does not occur during
    upgrade from 8.1.x to 8.1.7.

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1

On slower computers you may notice a "flicker" at the Oracle Universal Installer loading screen. It does not affect the installation in any way.

The Help window invoked from Oracle Universal Installer's Inventory window cannot be scrolled or resized the second time it is accessed. A workaround is to close the Inventory window.
    The Help window is now accessible. Resize the Help window, then close it. The next time you invoke Help from the Inventory window, it will appear at that size. This is a bug due to Java
    Development (JDK) 1.1.8.

Do not install release 8.1.5 after installing release 8.1.6 or 8.1.7. If you do so, release 8.1.6 or 8.1.7 is fully deinstalled and considered not functional because the required Java Runtime
    Environment (JRE) 1.1.8_10 is removed. Note that the same issue also applies to all non-ORACLE_HOME products that are shared between these installations. This problem does not
    occur if you install release 8.1.6 or 8.1.7 after release 8.1.5.

Ejecting the Software CD-ROM

In X-windowing environments, you can launch Oracle Universal Installer by clicking on runInstaller from the File Manager window. You can also launch Oracle Universal Installer by executing
    the script from a shell. If you launch Oracle Universal Installer by clicking on runInstaller, you will not be able to eject the CD until you kill the installation session. You need to eject the CD to
    continue with the multi-CD installation required by Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7). To successfully install products that require the insertion of multiple CDs, you must execute runInstaller from a
    shell.

Installing the Pro*COBOL v8.1.7 Precompiler

In Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) you must set the $COBDIR environment variable to a valid path before Oracle Universal Installer will allow you to select and install the Pro*COBOL v8.1.7 precompiler.

The Oracle8i Installation Guide for Sun SPARC Solaris indicates that you must set the $COBDIR environment variable prior to installing this precompiler to avoid any relinking errors. However, if
    you do not set this environment variable prior to starting the installation session, the Pro*COBOL v8.1.7 precompiler will not be available for selection.

Deinstallation

You cannot deinstall Oracle JServer separately from other products installed with Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7).

Deinstalling Oracle JServer causes Oracle Universal Installer to remove Oracle8i and other products dependent on Oracle JServer from your system.

System Management Products

Oracle Intelligent Agent

OEM_MONITOR Database Role

Reinstalling Oracle8i Server

Oracle Database Configuration Assistant

Net8 Configuration Assistant

Oracle Intelligent Agent

The installation model of Oracle Intelligent Agent has been modified as of release 8.1.7. The Oracle Intelligent Agent extensions (Oracle Applications Extensions, Oracle HTTP Server
    Extensions, Oracle EBusiness Management Tool Extensions, and so on) that allow management of the corresponding areas, are now separately installable.

This means that during installation, users can select the basic Oracle Intelligent Agent and separately select any of the Oracle Intelligent Agent extensions. Note that Oracle Data Gatherer is
    installed as part of the basic Oracle Intelligent Agent.

OEM_MONITOR Database Role

The OEM _MONITOR role can be granted to any database user being used as a "preferred credential" when registering advanced (database) events available with the Oracle Enterprise
    Manager Diagnostics Pack.

This role is defined in /$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catsnmp.sql which is called by the catalog scripts at database creation time. In addition to the OEM_MONITOR role, the database user requires
    quota on their default tablespace within the monitored database, in order to have some of the advanced events evaluated. Failure to do so will result in an insufficient privilege message.

Reinstalling Oracle8i Server

If you reinstall Oracle8i Server into an ORACLE_HOME where Oracle8i Server Release 8.1.6 is already installed, you must also reinstall any product options, such as Oracle Partitioning, that
    were enabled before you began the reinstallation.

Several products included with Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) are now directory-enabled and can take advantage of an LDAP version 3 directory server such as Oracle Internet Directory.
    Purchase of Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7) includes a restricted-use version of Oracle Internet Directory release 2.1.1 for Sun SPARC Solaris that may only be used in conjunction with Oracle's
    directory-enabled components and products such as Net8, Oracle Advanced Security, Oracle8i, and all future directory-enabled Oracle products.

Oracle Database Configuration Assistant

When you use Oracle Database Configuration Assistant to create a Custom database that includes Oracle JServer, be aware that it can take over an hour to finish loading Oracle JServer into
    the database depending on your system's hardware configuration.

Net8 Configuration Assistant

In a Typical, silent installation of Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7), Net8 Configuration Assistant does not configure an IIOP listening end point to provide access to Oracle JServer. After installation,
    start the Net8 Configuration Assistant from the command line and configure an IIOP end point for the listener called "LISTENER." For more information, see the Net8 Administrator's Guide.

Oracle Parallel Server

Creating Raw Devices and the SYSTEM Tablespace

Parallel Server Manager and Parallel Server Management

Starting Listeners on Remote Nodes

Creating Raw Devices and the SYSTEM Tablespace

When creating a database for use with Oracle Parallel Server the SYSTEM tablespace size should be set to 274MB. If you are creating a custom database with the Oracle Database
    Configuration Assistant, this will require you to change the SYSTEM tablespace size from the default of 260MB to 274MB before creating the database. In addition, the size of the raw device that
    you create for the SYSTEM tablespace must be at least 275MB. This requirement supersedes the corresponding file size requirement listed in the Oracle8i Parallel Server Setup and
    Configuration Guide. For more information on creating raw devices on Sun SPARC Solaris systems, see the Oracle8i Administrator's Reference.

Parallel Server Manager and Parallel Server Management

Be aware of the difference between Oracle Parallel Server Manager and Oracle Parallel Server Management:

Oracle Parallel Server Manager is a separately installable extension to the Oracle Enterprise Manager Console, which enables it to manage Oracle Parallel Server databases.

Oracle Parallel Server Management is installed with Oracle Parallel Server Option. It includes extensions to Oracle Intelligent Agent and a set of command line utilities used to manage
    Oracle Parallel Servers.

Starting Listeners on Remote Nodes

When running in Cluster mode and creating new listeners, the Net8 Configuration Assistant sometimes fails to start the newly created listeners on all nodes of the cluster. To work around this
    problem, log in to each node and enter the command: lsnrctl start .

Legato Storage Manager Deinstallation

The deinstallation of Legato Storage Manager (LSM) does not work correctly. In particular, the installation of LSM creates a symbolic link libobk8.so that points to the library liblsm8.so. During
    deinstall, the library liblsm8.so is removed. However, the symbolic link is not redirected to point to the library libsbtsh8.so.

If libobk8.so is not correctly recreated to point to libsbtsh8.so after the removal of LSM, Oracle will not work properly. To correctly remove LSM, delete and recreate the symbolic link libobk8.so to
    point to libsbtsh8.so after the completion of the deinstall of LSM.

Heterogeneous Services Agent Control Utility

The Heterogeneous Services Agent Control Utility (agtctl) incorrectly reports its version as 8.1.0.0.0. The correct version of this utility is 8.1.7.0.0.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Wow, what a post

Thank you so much, Sam !!!
    zm