DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing OAS and 8i on the same server

Hi,
    Is it possible to install OAS and Oracle 8i on the same server.

Infact I want to install Oracle 8i , OAS 4.0.8 and Reports 6i on the same server for testing purposes because of the budget constraint.

Please let me know if it is possible.

Thanks
    Anurag

Yes, it is possible to install oracle 8i and OAS on the same system. But the trick is that if first install the 8i and then the OAS. If you were to do vice-versa, the OAS would start missing the libraries under its link.

If you are planning to go for OAS, I would suggest that you start with the iAS (Internet Application Server) as support for OAS would soon be unavailable. Since iAS comes with an apache module, it would be a great point to work your way out through fiddling with it.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi,
    These are the things i installed on my test server each in their respective homes. They were installed in the same order as listed below.

Oracle 8i
    Oracle Reports 6i
    Oracle 8.0.5
    OAS 4.0.8

Now the problem I am facing is the the reports server service is not starting.

It says
    "The Oracle Reports Server [Rep60_AMINOCHA-OraReportsHome] service terminated with service-specific error 186. "

Infact when the first time I installed reports the service was running and now after installing OAS i noticed that it is not running anymore.

Thanks
    Anurag

There is the catch. At this time you have to reinstall your reports server. I had the issue of OAS not getting initialized, after I did an OEM 2.2 install. So I have to revert back to my OAS on the test. I haven't fully started to play with this. One of the other things is that matters I beleive is that where you put the java components.

Here are some of the differnt ways that you could avoid this problem.

1 Forget the OFA, and have different homes for these installs.

i.e.

/usr/local/oracle81/apps/
    /usr/local/oracle805/apps/
    /usr/local/oas/4082/...

This I beleive would work o.k because, each would have totally a different home to worry about.

I also have a gut feeling that 8.1.7 had some kind of missmatch problem with OAS libraries, if they are going to be on the same home path.

Sam

[Edited by sambavan on 04-18-2001 at 03:25 PM]
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Infact I did forget about OAS and installed each and every one in their own Home without any success.Everything works other than the reports server service does not start.

Now I have removed everything and install all of them again and try to figure out where it fails.

I'll keep you posted if I find something.

Thanks
    Anurag

I Installed Reports 6i in the default_home (c:\orant) and then installed oracle 8.1.7 in a different home ora81home (c:\oracle\ora81).

Infact 8i did not even finish its installation. It did not create the starter database, did not install the database configuration assistant and a lot of other stuff. Infact it des not even show the 8i installation in the installed product list in the oracle installer.

If I install 8i first and then install reports 6i it installs fine. ofcourse they have to be on different Homes as oracle does not even allow you to install reports 6i in an existing oracle 8i home.

Any reason why installing oracle's products is so cumbersome ?

Thanks
    Anurag

[Edited by anuragmin on 04-18-2001 at 04:33 PM]