DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do u handle space management hourly basis.

Hi

I want ot know how to find my tablespaces are full ,do i need to run cron job check it out regularly.
    My basic question ,from which tables i can see space management regularly like tablespaces and so on ,since its is real crucial .If something goes wrong and system is brought to halt we will be fired .

My boss use to say me when ever space utilisation gets filled 50% u need to take preventive measures ,i need to track it when it comes to 50% send me a notification how do u it ?? in unix or pl/sql procedure.

Thanks
    lnr

html code is off

looks like your boss knows little about how an Oracle databse should be managed ... but don't tell him !!!
    well the problem in fact is to know which of your objects cannot allocate a next extent in their tablespace ... that way you know if your objects are about to explose the tablespace or not ...
    nevertheless to answer your question, you cron a shell script, which then does a

sqlplus user/password << _END
    select
    exit;
    _END

and your select query should use
    dba_data_files
    dba_segments
    dba_free_space

it's yours now

hi

Thanks for that.
    But i want to know how do u handle daily activities ,instead of looking into it regularly.
    Is there any procedure or shell script for this type of activities
    were i can look into it and it will be helpful to me.

Thanks
    lnr
    html code is off

Set your tablespaces and data files autoextend with a maximum limit, say, at 4GB. You can check your OS directory to see how big the datafiles are, which can be done in many ways.