DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Perl & Oracle(Oracle error after upgrading)

Anybody have experienced the following error message after upgrading Oracle server from 8.0.6 to 8.1.6?
    It seems that before upgrading the server, Apache and Perl also need to be taken care of.
    If I copy the missing library from the old ORACLE_HOME, it seems to be working, but I would like to know how other people deal with this kind of issues.

install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/
    sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: ld.so.1: /usr/lo
    cal/bin/perl: fatal: libclntsh.so.1.0: open failed: No such file or directory at
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 169.

at (eval 2) line 3
    Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where expected
    at ./snap.pl line 27

We had to upgrade our DBI and DBD version when we upgraded to 8.1.7 from 8.1.5.
    Jeff Hunter

Thank you for the reply.
    I just wonder, in this case, before you upgrade Oracle server How much time you spend with you system administrator to prepare for the potential problem?
    Does you company have certain form or routine for this?
    In my case, I talked with a developer and we both didn't predict this kind of error we will get. All we did was just change ORACLE_HOME in all perl and shell scripts, in other words, we did have official routine for this kind of cases, since small company.
    How do you prepare for software upgrading issue ?

We usually install the new version in parallel with the old version and test everything. Only once we are confident the all the existing apps are compliant, we do the actual conversion steps.
    Jeff Hunter