DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: nologging clause

Hi friends,
    We are using the nologging clause for the tables which are partitioned. Lot of insert activity is going on in these tables.
    I understand, that "nologging" will result in disabling the redo logs for the initial insert. What is the implication? Suppose, I am populating the table every 2 hours, and the operation takes around 1 hour. Does it mean that only the first inserts are not logged but all the subsequent inserts from hour 2, 4 6 etc are logged?
    Also (though I suspect the answer), how can I ensure that this is actually the case?
    Thanks
    manjunath

Be aware that only the following operations can make use of the NOLOGGING option:

alter table...move partition
    alter table...split partition
    alter index...split partition
    alter index...rebuild
    alter index...rebuild partition
    create table...as select
    create index
    direct load with SQL*Loader
    direct-load INSERT

If the NOLOGGING option is defined on the table level, then ALL direct-load INSERTS
    will use this option, not only the first insert.

(Don't forget /*+ APPEND */ hint if your insert works in serial mode,
    for parallel mode APPEND is by default).
    inosov
    Brainbench MVP for Oracle DBA

Originally posted by manjunathk
    Suppose, I am populating the table every 2 hours, and the operation takes around 1 hour. Does it mean that only the first inserts are not logged but all the subsequent inserts from hour 2, 4 6 etc are logged?
    No, it is not even so. Very probably *all* of your insert batches are fully logged. Inserts are not logged only in some very specific cases, basicaly when you use SQL*LOader's direct path option and when you implement "direct-load inserts". I suggest you take a look at Oracle Concepts manual, where (almost) the whole chapter is devoted to direct-load inserts.

If you wan't to make sure that your inserts are realy happening in nologging mode, you can make the following simple test, probably on a test database, running in archivelog mode:
    1.Make a database backup
    2.Perform inserts
    3.Restore the database from a backup and perform full media recovery
    4.If after the recovery the inserted rows are there, then inserts were logged. If the rows are not ther, your inserts were actually direct-load inserts and were not logged.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks, jmodic and inosov.
    We are running in 'Noarchive' mode. We have the option of reloading the entire insert and so have done away with logging.
    Still, I have noticed that the logswitches are occuring frequently. Presently queries are not going on. So, I thought if there is a way to know what is being written into redo log files, it would solve my problem. Does logminer help in this situation(i have never used it so far). I am running 8.1.6 on Tru64.
    Thanks
    manjunath

Yes, logminer will show you if the inserts are logged.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by inosov
    (Don't forget /*+ APPEND */ hint if your insert works in serial mode,
    for parallel mode APPEND is by default).
    [/B]
    Parallel queries do not require the APPEND hint, as inosov said. However, the session apparently needs to have ALTER SESSION ENABLE/FORCE PARALLEL DML in order to 'turn on' the direct-insert mode for parallel queries.

- Chris