DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SQL Plus

Hi,

I have installed oracle 817 on my Nt server. I am able to connect to the newly installed oracle using the sqlplus provided in the /home/bin directory.

However, I wanted to connect to the other boxes running the oracle using sqlplus. I have made the entries in home/network/admin/tnsnames.ora for the other instances also.

I am not able to connect to other boxes.

Later I have installed a oracle client on other directory and I am trying to access the other instance from the client..It does not connect to the other instances but goes to only the new instance created on my machine.

Please clarify to me how can I access both my instance as well as the other instance. Which sqlplus.exe should I use..?
    the one in the server home path or the one in the client?

Badrinath

First of all try to ping the hostname/IP of the other instances and make sure that you were able to reach them. Then check your tnsnames.ora on the connecting server and make sure the qualifiers had been set correct. Then check your listeners and make sure that they are started and running, then check your sqlnet.ora to confirm the connection qualification on it.

These would help you to trouble shoot the problem effectively.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thanks Sambavan,

Let me tell you that, earlier I had a client and was able to connect to all the boxes. Later, I installed a 8iEE on my NT and now I have both client and server.

so:

1) Can't I have both server and client on the same machine.
    2).When trying to reach other boxes through sqlplus, which tnsnames .ora does it check... (Client\network\admin\tnsnames.ora or
    (ser\.....\tnsnames.ora)

Please clarify.

Badrinath