DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Could not connect to my database from other machines

Hi,

I have installed the default database in my machine. Oracle 8i enterprise edition. I started my database and listener. I created a new user giving him even the grant of connect,resource and dba. The person is not able to connect to my database. Its giving a problem

Tnsname couldnot be resolved.

I checked the tnsnames entry. It correctly have the sid as my sid here i.e prajora. Also checked the port it is 1521 and the protocol used is TCP. Also check the machine name. All seems to be right. What else could be the problem that it is not connecting to my database.

It would be helpful. If I cant get a hint on what could be the issue behind it.

Thanks,
    prajeesh

TCP/IP

Hi

Problem may be in TCP/IP configuration. please assign a valid TCP/IP Number to your machine. and try to PING that particular machine by using IP address once you get reply from the host. the Net8 will defnetly work. In the Hostname instead of giving the server Name give IP address of your server

for ex PING 90.0.0.1 ( IP)

Regards
    Shanmugavel

In addition to what Prajeesh said also make sure that there isn't some network equipment which is blocking port 1521 traffic, like a router or firewall. A ping might work but then the connection fails because the particular port is closed.

Hope this helps
    Failte
    PDP Data Solutions

It is very hard to make a good impression when your only crotch high.