DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: control file growing

could anyone give me all possible reasons to make control file growing.

I have a snapshot instance (only one schema being snapshot) and only activity is user query the data and snapshot refresh job.
    I realized the control file is growing slowly, why?
    the db structure never change, no backup, archilve log off, how is possible insert more data into control file?

any input will be helpful, thanks

Check related docs on Metalink. It may have something to do with the init parameter: CONTROLFILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME

Hi,
    See there are many reasons for control file growing.Though u dont have any structural changes or backup or archived logs Oracle updates the controlfile and the database files with the checkpoint (SCN).
    Also when there are log switches Oracle updates the controlfile with the log sequence number.
    In order to trim ur controlfile....change the init.ora parameter CONTROL_FILE_REUSE_TIME=3.by default the parameter is set to 7 days.If u keep the no of days to less than Oracle will keep the information for 3 days and then overwrite it.
    In case of any doubts please be free to write to me at rohitsn@altavista.com

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    rohitsn@altavista.com

Hi,
    See there are many reasons for control file growing.Though u dont have any structural changes or backup or archived logs Oracle updates the controlfile and the database files with the checkpoint (SCN).
    Also when there are log switches Oracle updates the controlfile with the log sequence number.
    In order to trim ur controlfile....change the init.ora parameter CONTROLFILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME=3.by default the parameter is set to 7 days.If u keep the no of days to less than Oracle will keep the information for 3 days and then overwrite it.
    In case of any doubts please be free to write to me at rohitsn@altavista.com

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    rohitsn@altavista.com