DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: partial import

Red face

while importing (full) error was returned that couldn't create daatfile <> and i found that the directory under which import tried creating the datafile was missing.

now rest of the import has gone through but for these e datafiles.
    how to get these daatfiles and the the contents?

Please clarify once again. I could not understand Your question. Import cannot create a datafile.

It will try to insert back all those records in the relevant objects (which in turn resides in different tablespaces - where each tablespace may have one or more datafiles)

You have mentioned -- data file missing -- how come your database running right now without any error message.
    Thanx
    Ramesh.

partial import

before importing i dropped all users and tablespaces including contents.
    importing from a full backup will create all datafiles and tablespaces as existed during export(full)

unfortunately this time one directory under which 2 datafiles were to be created were non-existent so the datafile creation by import failed.

and redoing the entire import again is too time consuming .

Just check the log file created during the import (if you included that parameter)

Clarify what is the reason for not creating the datafiles under that directory. Try to fix that error.
    I am not that much sure whether in this condition, it is possible to import the leftover data alone.

By chance if the leftover data pertains to a particular user(s), you can try importing only those user data after manually recreating the datafile.
    Thanx
    Ramesh.

this is what log says

IMP-00017: following statement failed with ORACLE error 1119:
    "CREATE TABLESPACE "TBMS_CD_NDX" DATAFILE '/oracle1/index/tbms_cd_ndx.dbf d"
    "ata file ' SIZE 524288000 REUSE, '/oracle1/index/tbms_cd_ndx1.dbf' SIZE 209"
    "715200 REUSE DEFAULT STORAGE(INITIAL 40960 NEXT 40960 MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTE"
    "NTS 505 PCTINCREASE 50) ONLINE PERMANENT "
    IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1119 encountered
    ORA-01119: error in creating database file '/oracle1/index/tbms_cd_ndx.dbf data file '
    ORA-27040: skgfrcre: create error, unable to create file
    HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory

now i've created the index directory but i've no idea of the users that might be using the datafiles that were earlier under it.

No problem.
    YOur is simple i think.

As you said, you have removed the index subdirectory also.
    That's the reason why the data file creation failed. It is ok.

Now create the two index files manually, extract the index scripts from dump file by adding the parameters
    indexfile=

just extract those index scripts which use this particular tablespace and run them.

that's it. No need to run the entire import again.

Thanx
    Ramesh.

thank you all

If that index tablespace realy contained only indexes, then simply runing the "indexfile" created with "IMP INDEXFILE=..." will not be very helpfull.

All those indexes that should be created by the indexfile are probably allready created in the database! During the first import imp executed all those CREATE INDEX commands. As it couldn't find the index tablespace, it created those indexes in the user's default tablespace. Only if there were space or quota problems in user's default tablespace those indexes weren't created. In this case check the imp log file for any errors regarding CREATE INDEX commands.

If those indexes are allready created, you can simply move them to the index tablespace by using ALTER INDEX REBUILD commands.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

thank you contactrb and jmodic

[Edited by deswal_aja on 04-02-2001 at 04:10 PM]