DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: standby

Thumbs up

Hi everybody,

Dp any one using standby database in managed recovery mode,so that the archives from prod copied in stdby are applied automatically without dba intervention.

I'm planning to go for that. So can anyone who is using that mode say how to accomplish that and what are the pitfalls in that where we should be care to prevent data loss.

Detailed explanation expected.

Thanx
    I love dba job

As for "Detailed explanation expected": Oracle manuals are sufficiently detailed regarding standby database.

As for the pitfals: there are only a few.
    For one, automated standby can't be implemented on Standard Edition, you must have Enterprice Edition, as standard edition does not recognise the new form of archive destination parameters (LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n), at least not in 8.1.6.
    And one more thing that is actualy not mentioned in the docs caused me some troubles. That is, if you wan't to switch your standby from "managed recovery" mode to "open read only" mode and vice versa, you should have no job queue processes active on standby (JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0), which BTW is only logical, as you actualy don't need them on standby database. You only have to remember to activate them in case you must convert your standby to primary database.

HTH,
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

There is a good standy database doc link on this site under tech docs/dba...

One problem I found with the standby database in Managed Recovery Mode was that even if the archived redo logs are not sent off to the standby server (because of a temporary network problem, for instance ) Oracle doesn't notice this and give you a warning. This could therefore lead to a situation where you had one or several individual logs missing, thus rendering recovery of your standby database impossible from that point. Since you wouldn't want Oracle to actually ground to a halt in the event of it being unable to archive to all of its destinations, I'm not sure what solution there could ever be to this problem.

All of this was certainly the case when I built a standby with 8.1.5, anyway. Please let me know, anyone, if a solution has been found.