DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Performance Tuning book

Hybrid View

Question

What is a good book to study from for Performance Tuning test?

Several resources to choose from:
    Exam Cram Oracle 8 DBA Performance Tuning by Ault and Brinson, published by Coriolis. This book is the best, most closely tailored publication for the exam itself.
    Oracle Press DBA Exam Certification Guide by Jason Couchman. Not quite as thorough on this subject, but still quite useful.
    O'Reilly also has a book
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracle2/

I found this test to be the most difficult and perhaps containing the most demonic questions. It also has the highest pass threshold, around 78%.
    It is very important not only to study the books, but to put into practice the teachings on your own database. Study the data dictionary views, learn the various hit ratios completely, learn the memory architecture and create practice problems on the db for yourself.
    Finally, take several practice tests before you go in to the real test.
    John Doyle

besides the book from exam cram( which needless to say has got everything in it ).. you can always rely on the oracle press performance tuning book .. it has all the hit ratios defined well which are the base for the PT test , also there is one more book , i don't remember the exact name of author , i'll check it out and let you know that .
    but the key is to give as many as practice tests as possible ...

hth .
    OCP 8.0, 8i, 9i

hi there

as far as the test is concerned i feel the best book is from sybex oracle performance tuning and network admin guide