DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do we copy from Oracle 6 to Oracle 8i

Question

How to directly copy the table structure along with the data from Oracle 6 to Oracle 7

or

Copy table structure along with the data from one Version of Oracle to another higher version of Oracle

or

copy table strucutre along with the data from one Version of Oracle to another lower version of Oracle

Santosh

This is a process of migration that you have to use to migrate the schema from 6 to 8. Please refer the migration doc for details. I'm not here whether you could use the oracle migration work bench or not. I would suggest that you refer the docs before you proceed.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

You can allways use Oracle's export utility. Export your Oracle6 and import it directly to any subsequent edition (7.*, 8.*).
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Jurij, here wouldn't the export utility differ from version to version? Doesn't he have to migrate first to 7 and then from 7 to 8?

I waguly remember looking at some kind of steps that you have to follw to migrate from 6 to 8?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

No, exported dumps are upward compatible. I've done it personaly, without any troubeles - performed an export on Oracle6 and imported the dump directly into 8.0.5 (but it could also have been 8.1.*). I've read in the documentation you can even import into 8i the dump exported from Oracle version 5 !!!!

As a matter of fact, this is the only possible way to migrate directly from 6 to 8.*. The lowest acceptable release for the migration utility for migrating to 8i is 7.3, so you'd have to exp-imp at least from 6.0 to 7.3 and then migrate from there on.It's not worth the trouble, it's better to use imp-exp directly from 6.0 to 8i
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks Everybody I dont want to do the migration of the whole database I Just want to copy the data from Oracle 6 to Oracle 8 so I think I will try the export and the import utility because migration is you have to migrate the whole database but I was looking at copying part of the database
    Santosh