DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New to oracle exams, advice needed!

Wink

Hi:
    I am new to oralce exams. I am thinkinb about taking the SQL/PL-SQL exam this summer. I do not have any professioinal experience on oracle but I took a database class and learned some basic SQL stuff. Is that sufficient background to go for the very first exam?

Here I have some questions about the exam.
    1. What would be a comprehensive book for the first exam 1Z-001?

2. Is there any free mock exam questions availale over internet?

3. How long would it take to get the first exam?

4. What would be the benefit of the first exam, if that is the only one I take? Is it going to help me for finding a job?

5. Will I get any certificate from oracle for only one exam?

Thank you for your tips very very much.

OCP Pointers

1. Exam Cram books are good preparation but you also need
    lots of hands-on practice on PL/SQL and SQL*Plus. You should have several books like the Complete Oracle Reference and Oracle 8i Database Administration. The cramsession site has good information on preparing for each test. Jason Couchman's guide to the OCP Oracle 8i Tests is very helpful.
    2. Oracle used to have some sample STS questions on the Oracle education site. They are probably still available there.
    The PL/SQL test is more difficult than the STS questions and is one of the most difficult tests.
    3. Take your time and be well prepared for the first test if you are not experienced with SQL and have not practiced extensively. I would think at least a month. If you do not pass you have to wait another month to retake the test and pay the fee again. Each additional test requires more study and if you are not familiar with the subject it could take a couple of months for each. Depends on your experience and the amount of time you can allot for study and practice.
    You are allowed 2 hours for this test and expect to use most of that time.
    4. One test will not make you an expert and is not likely to get you a job.
    5. The certificate is given only after you finish all the tests successfully. After each test you will get a sheet giving the results of the test and giving you score on each section of that test.

Good luck.