DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: IMP Bombed b/c of space issues

Hello all i created instance with the same settings as the old instance, did a full import to the new instance, and it bombs out with errors saying "Unable to allocate initial extents" i check all the tablespaces and made sure the extent size, tablespace size... initial...blah blah blah were the same. I ended up having to incrase the size of the new instance by another 1Gig in order for it to work. Why would the New instance take twice as much tablespace room as the old instance when we are using the same parameters???

thanks

The initial extent of the object (compressed by default) during export might now be greater than the datafile size , which originally were distributed in number of extents.
    Each Extent should exist in a single datafile, cannot go across datafiles.

Most probably, while exporting you left the default value of COMPRESS = Y as it is. So the size of the Extent will be as big as of "Segment" . So it is not able to fit in the space as it did in the Original Database. If you have the Original Instance still available, then export with COMPRESS = N then you should be able to import in the new one with same parameters. Try
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar