DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mts vs dedicated server tuning

I have read all throughout Oracle's documentation that it is better to use MTS over dedicated. What kind of benchmarking tools or views can I use to compare the two configurations on my database instance?

I would like to run tests in both scenarios and see numbers which actually show me which one is better.

thanks,
    -Eddie Hernandez

Hi,
    To put ur database in Mts or dedicated server depends on how much user population u have connecting to the database.If u have more than 100 users connecting to Oracle anytime u can put ur database in MTS mode,otherwise it is better to put ur database in dedicated more.
    The main difference between the 2 is that the server process is shared by many user process through dispatcher process in MTS.
    So if u have around 100 users connecting then u will be needing 100 server process for 100 users and if the users are sitting idle a long time then this server process are using a lot of resources which other active users may be nedding it.
    So if u use MTS then the server process gets shared by many users theryby a proper utilisation of resources is done.
    In case of any prblem or queries write to me at rohitsn@altavista.com

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP
    rohitsn@altavista.com

Originally posted by eddieh
    I have read all throughout Oracle's documentation that it is better to use MTS over dedicated. What kind of benchmarking tools or views can I use to compare the two configurations on my database instance?

I would like to run tests in both scenarios and see numbers which actually show me which one is better.

thanks,
    -Eddie Hernandez

Since it is possible to have both the MTS and dedicated process. I would suggest that you have both. At times MTS would cause problems if you are doing backups and RMAN stuffs. During those points that you would require dedicated process setup. Also you can query the V$circuits and v$rowcache, v$queue, v$dispatcher, v$shared_server, v$dispatcher_rate views to analyze the performance. Not to forget v$sesstat and the system stats views.

Be carefull if you are setting profile idle connection disconnect option. MTS would thrash all/some of its server and dispatcher thread and would lead the system to hang. The only solution to this problem at present is that to restart the instance. This seems to be a bug on 8.1.6 and seems to have propagated to 8.1.7 and yet to be fixed.

The concept of functionality had been well explained by rohitsn.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

What problem will be caused by MTS in backup and RMAN?

None.

The difference between MTS and dedicated server configuration is only in implementation of user's server proceses, which are only memory structures.

On the other hand, backup deals only with "physical" structures (tablespaces and OS files), that is structures that actually stores database information on disks. The backup is independant of Oracle processes and memory structures.

Altough if you are connecting from remote site to perform a backup I'd recommend to use dedicated server connection for that purpose. It should work with shared server connection also, but for backing up the database I'm feeling better if I know I have a connection just for myself....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Be careful using Sun boxes and MTS !! We received alot of ORA-0600 errors and had to switch it off.

Originally posted by wren01
    What problem will be caused by MTS in backup and RMAN?
    Since the connection pooling take place in MTS, the RMAN would get confused most of the times. This I have seen on the 8i STD edition. As far as I know, RMAN would look for the dedicated server connection during this time.

Commenting on MTS ORA-600 error, it is possible to get if you have set a profile to the user connction idle time. This would cause the MTS to crash. This is a bug on 8i and is yet to be fixed. FYI, as I mentioned on my previous posting, it had propagated to 8.1.7 too The fix to this problem is that turn off the profile's idle time disconnect.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!