DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN & RAID

I have a partitioned hard disk on which I already have a database and wanted to create another database for the RMAN recovery catalog.
    I read that you can't have the RMAN database on the same disk as the main database.
    However, since this is a test environment, I wanted to know if it is possible to still have 2 databases on the same partitioned disk that uses RAID.
    How does RAID fit into this???

Regards
    Lynn

Thumbs up

Hi,
    First tell me whether ur database is in RAID or not?
    If it is in RAID, what level?

If it is not then u can implement the RMAN catalog database to take the backup. but u can't crash the disk to test the recovery.

U can mail me at csvenkata@yahoo.co.uk for more informations.

Well i think it´s pretty obvious why you should not have RMAN in same disk. Imagine that disks fails how are you gonna use RMAN... to recover the database

Originally posted by pando
    Well i think it´s pretty obvious why you should not have RMAN in same disk. Imagine that disks fails how are you gonna use RMAN... to recover the database
    Exactly. If this is a development/test environment, knock yourself out. In a production environment, I like to put the RMAN recovery catalog on it's own machine, even if it is a small machine with little redundancy.
    Jeff Hunter