DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Table/View comparison between schema

Question

I need to do a comparison between two schemas to determine if the records returned by the views/tables are identical. And if not to identify which views/tables are different.

Does anyone have an SQL script/tool that will compare tables/views in different schemas? Or could you please explain how to access the views in different schemas.

I have access to WinNT/Sun environments running Oracle8i.
    Thanks in advance!

There is a free utility called T.O.A.D. which as a option to do this for you.

The URL to get the free version is http://www.toadsoft.com/toadfree.zip

It's fairly self explanatory, you have to log into one of the schemas and have a database link to the other, click refresh and it will show all the differences.

Hope this is of help

Toad is not quite what I'm looking for...

M1l,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've used the schema differences comparator in Toad. It's been a great help so far actually.

Right now, I want to compare the actual records and not just the table/view definitions. Is there an option in TOAD to do this? I've only seen the comparison of the definitions and I have not seen a records comparator which is what I'm looking for.

select *
    from a.table z
    where z.pk not in (select x.pk from b.table)

it can take a lot of time, and if you need to do this on many table us it as a part of the procedur.

You say you have NT right? If so use OEM´s change management PACK I believe it also points out the difference between data