DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Log is as a user for Oracle Service

Hi,
    I am using the utl_file package to write to a mapped drive on an NT Box. The database version is Oracle8.0.5.

I am logging in as a different user other than system to start the oracle services and the listener and it seems to be working fine.

But I heard that 8.1.7 does not support this functionality. Also what other measures need to be taken if i am starting my services as a different user other that system.

Please suggest as i am planning to deploy this on a production environment and am unsure whether it will screw up things or not.

Thanks
    Anurag

From the unix point of view, if you have a sysdba group, privileges then you should be able to start or shutdown the database. On Win2000, you have to be under ORA_DBA group, similarly I presume that you have to be in the ORA_DBA group to administer the database.

I hope this would work for you.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

The ORA_DBA group exists in Win2K. I am using 8.0.5 on NT4.0.

There is one NT user (superuser) who has priveleges to the whole domain and has read write priveleges on all the mapped drives. i am using this user (superuser) to start the oracle services using the log in as ... field. This user does not exist in the database. I am able to start the services and write to the mapped drives using the utl_file package. I am using the UNC method to do so so that the user does not have to be logged on to the operating system. It works fine on my test environment but I am a little skeptcal of implementing it in the production environment as I am unsure of the consequences.

Please suggest if I am doing the correct things or am missing something.

Also what will happen if we plan to upgrade the database to 8.1.7 as oracle says writing to the mapped drives is not supported in that version.

Thanks
    Anurag