DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle parallel server and parallel query

Exclamation

Hi,
    Can anybody explains to me how oracle parallel
    server works.

Basically my question is, we have
    some 40 processors(nodes), we want to
    run 40 oracle parallel servers on those 40 nodes.
    We have some expensive queries, which might take
    upto 2 days to process in a single node envirnonment,
    since we have 40 processors now, will that query
    run parallely and get results much sooner ?

Can this be achieved in oracle ?

Thanks.
    Sincerley,
    Viji

Hi Vijay,

Yes surely parallel server is the solution.In Pallel server you have a database which is on a storaga media that is on a Raw device this is mandatory in parallel server and the there is a Clustered Nodes which are able to access the common storage media where the database is created and each of these nodes are running a seperate Instance and accessing the database in this way they are able to load balancing and also perform failover that is if one of the instance fails the query is routed the surviving nodes now to ur question yes parallel server has a facility of parallel query option.Try to get a book on

Oracle Parallel Processing by Tushar Mahapatra and Sanjay Mishra

This book is from O'REILLY this is a wonderfull book if you are beginner offcourse Iam also a beginner on Oracle Parallel server

Offourse there is lots of documentation available on the following link for oracle 8 and oracle 8i try these links

http://technet.oracle.com/products/o...s/xopstwp3.htm

http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a67778/toc.htm

Hope this helped you

Regards

[Edited by santoshym on 05-16-2001 at 08:17 PM]
    Santosh

Parallel Server may or may not be your answer. There is a lot of DBA administration involved: raw devices are required, and sharing data between instances can cause locks.

Proceed with caution!

Oracle Parallel Server configuration (40 instances on a single database ???!!!?) will help you *absolutely nothing* in speeding your long-running queries! The query will still be processed by a single instance (on a single machine). OPS is ment for higher availability and/or scalability of the system, not for speeding up queries.

In your case you must first determine what is your bottleneck: CPU, I/O, memory, network, ....., or simply inefficiently written queries. After determining that, you can concentrate on the offending part of the sistem and improve it accordingly.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?