DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Redo Log and Archive Log

Hybrid View

Hi,

Can any one please elaborate the Function of Red Log and Archieve Log?

What are Their Functions and What are the Things Importantly to know about those. What the DBA can do if some time there is Trouble with Redo Log and/or Archieve Log.

Please Help me out.

Thanks... Qaisar

Talking read documentation

Quaisar,

You should definately read the documentation regarding this subject. It is SO large and detailed. There would be no point to describe EVERYTHING that these two things do. Also, Do a "search" on this Forum for archives regarding this information.

Basically, archived logs and redo logs are a KEY ingredient to any Backup&Recovery procedure. In fact, it would be fairly impossible to Recover a database if you did not have any of these logs (backed up or otherwise).

You cannot run a database without redo logs.

Again, read the archives on this subject or Oracle Documentation. There is way too much information out there to go into detail on this broad subject.

- Magnus

If your making money taking care of someones DB than you should either invest 100 $ on a few books or get used to searching google for the manuals and guides which are replicated all over the net.

Here is a link that I got by searching for " redo logs oracle" at [url]http://www.google.com:[/url]

[url]http://docs.rinet.ru:8083/O8/ch06/ch06.htm[/url]

It has more than you ever want to know about redo logs.

-Roger

Thanks a Lot Roger.
    The Great Certified DBA in Oracle 8i

To start with the database can be in two modes; archived log mode or noarchived log mode

Archived logs are redologs archived so basically what you need to understand is what are redologs

everything we do in the database is being logged (except queries of course), things like modifying db structure, adding data etc

Let´s assume we are in archived log mode:
    For example if I accidently deleted some data and commit the transaction there must be some way I can go back to the moment just befre I deleted the data, one way would be restore a backup from yesterday for example and start giving the archived logs to Oracle so he can read it and do all the changes in the db during the backup until the moment of my bad transaction. It´s like a diary for Oracle

Hi Pando ,

Thanks a lot. Can you please explain what kind of Trobles can we expect from Redo Logs and How we Handle. Should we Remove the Contents of Redo Logs if we don't need them or Should Increase the Size for Redo Logs or add new members.

Please explain.

Thanks again.
    The Great Certified DBA in Oracle 8i

Cool

Your signature states that you are "certified" in 8i. Am I to assume that you were not educated regarding redo-logs/archived logs?

You should AT LEAST have 2 members per Redo Log and have them located on separate disks. That way, if one of your disks has a problem, you already have a copy (the other member).

You cannot remove contents of redo logs. They exist, and re-write themselves (that's where the archived logs come in). So, you could have three groups of Redo Logs with 2 members each. Once Group 1 is full, Group 2 takes over, etc. Once Group 3 is full, then Group 1 is over-written.

- Magnus