DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: alert log is not being created

Talking

Dear friends,
    For some reason(??) my alert log is not being created today. That problems brings me to a question: what controls creation and updates of the alert log?
    I do see an entry in my initsid.ora with a correct path for alert log destination. It is the same as yesterday. The difference is yesterday I had alert log today I don't.
    Your help is appreciated.

Smile

hi
    as u know if the location in the init.ora is not specified then oracle will still write to a default location and also if an alert.log exists then oracle will be appending new entries into the same log unless u have a mechanism which moves out alert.logs of each day to another place then oracle will have to create a new alert.log in the same place
    cheers
    soren

Thank you.
    But my problem has not been solved yet. I am still figuring out how it is possible that alert log is not being created.
    Does anyone know what interval of time Oracle appends new information to alert log?

Hi,

ORACLE will write to alert log whenever there is a startup, shutdown, log switch or when there are errors. Some statements which affect ORACLE dictionary are also record in alert log.

Baliga

Did you try shut it down and restart the DB? That might help!

Probably there are no errors or switch logs to be written to alert log file. Did you check you archive log directory. Try switching the online logs and check the alert log. Then let us know if still the alert log file is not updated.
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

switch logs

How do you switch logs, is it 'alter database switch logfile;'?

Cool

you can manually force a log file switch by this script

sql>alter system switch log file;

hth