DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Questions on OMS and OEM

Question

I have a few basic questions, I'm coming from SQL Server, so some of the terms I've been introduced to are unfamiliar,

Someone else has installed ORACLE 8i. They have only run the setup program and are unfamiliar with ORACLE!

1. How do I tell it a repository has been setup on my machine? Is a repository setup during installation? In ORACLE ADMINSTATOR ASSISTANT FOR WIN NT, there is an object under the databases tab and I've successfully connected to it. Is that the repository?

2. Does a management server get created by setup when ORACLE is first installed, or does it need to be created manually using CONFIGURATION ASSISTANT?

3. Does a management server need to be created prior to being able to use (logging in into) OEM?

4. Can I set the Management Server to start automatically when the OS start?

Please recommend books that explain these concepts in great detail (not just reference). I did not have much success with the online documentation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

<B>
    Is a repository setup during installation? </B>
    No, You have to create.

<B>In ORACLE ADMINSTATOR ASSISTANT FOR WIN NT, there is an object under the databases tab and I've successfully connected to it. Is that the repository?
    </B>
    I doubt.

<B>
    Does a management server get created by setup when ORACLE is first installed, or does it need to be created manually using CONFIGURATION ASSISTANT?
    </B>
    No, you have to first create the repository, by going to the dos prompt and type "emca" there it will open a wizard and walk you through the creation of repository for OMS

Then you can start that from the prompt window as follows
    oemctrl start oms

Other wise go to your services and see there for Oracle Management server. If it was there set it to automatic.

<b>
    Does a management server need to be created prior to being able to use (logging in into) OEM?
    </B>
    Yes

<B>Can I set the Management Server to start automatically when the OS start?
    </b>
    Be carefull b'cos you have to have the database and listeners started before starting the OMS. Also make sure that Oracle Intelligent agent had been started.

If you have any questions or problems post here and we will try to help our level best.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!