DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Reading archived log files

Question

Does anyone know if there is any support like in 7.0.3 and in oracle 8.1.5 for extracting the dml statements from an archived log file in oracle 7.3.4?.
    I'am trying to figure out a way to update another database with information from the production database without having to degrade performance i the production environment.

Well, we cant extract dml or ddl from arc file because all it writes is metadata. You have to use export utility , if you are concerned about performance than dont export in primetime do during weekends or late evenings when activities are less.
    Best Regards,
    Harsh Shah

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by magnus [/i]
    [B]Does anyone know if there is any support like in 7.0.3 and in oracle 8.1.5 for extracting the dml statements from an archived log file in oracle 7.3.4?.
    I'am trying to figure out a way to update another database with information from the production database without having to degrade performance i the production environment. [/B][/QUOTE]
    The database in question is for a factory that runs 24*7 and always have a lot of activity the database is also almost 30GB now and one you the tables that has alot of activity against it is over 1.4GB so as you can immagine i would really like to move the reports that are beeing generated against it to another database.
    But the people running the reports have demands on the freshnes of the data since they are making important decisions depending on it, so i really cant do this on weekends or even nights.
    Do you have anymore ideas?

Guess for a second you are doing a export of what ever you need ,if would not effect a lot on the database unless you are exporting lots of schemas or the whole database.
    Table with may be million rows wont bhave any bad performance because it just takes 1-2 minutes .

Best Regards,
    Harsh Shah

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hbk_emp [/i]
    [B]Guess for a second you are doing a export of what ever you need ,if would not effect a lot on the database unless you are exporting lots of schemas or the whole database.
    Table with may be million rows wont bhave any bad performance because it just takes 1-2 minutes .

[/B][/QUOTE]
    I am going to have to export the whole schema since i dont have anyway to know whats been going on since the last export.
    And it gets even worse..
    All the tables are within the same schema...
    Dont think that exporting is the solution for this issue, maybe uppgrading to oracle8.1.5 is the only right way to solve this, but the application in use does not support this version yet!
    Really dont have a clue..what to do?
    Thanks anyway for taking time of to answer my guestions.

Hey I found a solution for you problem. But you have to intall Oracle OEM 2.2.0 the lastest because it has sql logging from Current on going thing as well as it can convert metadata of arc files into sql may be ddl or dml
    try it.

Best Regards,
    Harsh Shah