DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN backup tidying issue ...

Question

Folks,

I have couple of questions relating to RMAN backup tidying.

1. When I do

report obsolete redundancy = 2;

I get a list of backup pieces that had gone obsolete. Now my question over here is that when I get to delete this backupset, does the RMAN take into consideration of removing the related archive logs also, or do I have to remove the archive log backups seperately. If so what is the command do I use to locate the appropriate backuppieces of those corresponding archive logs piceces.

2. Secondly, is there any easy way other than to run the script of change ... delete, to do the delete?

somthing like "delete obsolete redundancy = #" or
    "delete backupset until "SYSDATE - 30" or so. Using the change...delete is kind of tedious apporach for me, as I have to sit and write some script to first flush the obsolete files into a flat file, then read them and create a dynamic script to generate an RMAN delete to delete them from the tape drive. On the other hand if there is some easy way like I mentioned above, it could all be done in one shot.

Any ideas/scripts that could make my life easy?

Thanx
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Don't know if this helps but when we are doing RMAN backups of the archive logs we use:
    'backup archivelog all delete input format'
    Which will delete the archive logs when they have been backed up

Rgs
    Colin

That is correct. :D My question was that when I delete those Level 0 backupsets, would it delete those corresponding archive log backup pieces also from the backup or do I have to delete them by going through those archivelog backup information.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I don't think it does, so you will have to delete them manually.
    If you have deleted/removed the backupsets can't you do a change archivelog ... validate (or something like it) to get rman check for the availability of the backupsets or am I totally missing the point.