DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database Migration : Unix --> Nt

Hello,

We intend to migrate our 7.3.4 database (Unix HP-UX 10.20) to an NT machine (with Oracle 8.1.7) using export/import utilities. My question is related to export. I am asking my self is a full export will work (because we will go from Unix to NT). Do you have an idea ?

Thanks a lot

Sofiane
    Sofiane

full export or oracle migration utility are two of your choices here .now for the choice given my experience for this kind of jobs i would say

if the databse is small say a few gigs then export import is okay.

if the databse is terrabytes then export import is big no no oracle migration utility or workbench si ideally suited to handed this kind of jobs

this is not a final advice would love to see others opinions on this one

hth
    hrishy

Hello,

We are going to migrate from Oracle 7.3.4 runing on UNIX PLATFORM to Oracle 8.1.7 runing on NT.
    So I think that using migration utility is not possible. Correct me if I am wrong.

So my question si the following :

If we perform a FULL export of our 7.3.4 (UNIX) database, the export file will contain the tablespace definition (with the differents db files : /u1/dbora/... ). In NT, we will create the DB with the same tablespaces (with the differents db files d:\dbora1, e:\...). SO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IL WE WILL BE ABLE TO IMPORT A FULL DMP FILE Into oracle 8.1.7 (runing under NT). NB : the FULL DMP FILE was exported from Oracle 8.1.7 (RUNING UNDER UNIX).

NB : if that is not possible, we will perform export/import of the objects for each users.

I am waiting for reply.

Thanks

Sofiane
    Sofiane

I did EXP/IMP couple of times from NT to Unix. It works. It should work even other way from Unix to NT.The bottom line, u should be having the precreated tablespaces in the NT database. You should be oK.

You can import full dmp, no need to user by user.
    Reddy,Sam

I agree that the export/import should work. Just a reminder that the export utility does NOT export data from the SYS or SYSTEM schemas (even if you do a FULL export). Therefore, the roles, privileges and users you have defined will not be part of your export. You can generate the role/privilege/user create scripts by querying the original database, then execute them against your target before you do your import. The plus doing it this way (rather than recreating from scratch) is that your users will not have to reset their database passwords (assuming their not "identified externally").

Tim

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by macswell [/i]
    [B]I agree that the export/import should work. Just a reminder that the export utility does NOT export data from the SYS or SYSTEM schemas (even if you do a FULL export). Therefore, the roles, privileges and users you have defined will not be part of your export. You can generate the role/privilege/user create scripts by querying the original database, then execute them against your target before you do your import. The plus doing it this way (rather than recreating from scratch) is that your users will not have to reset their database passwords (assuming their not "identified externally").

Tim [/B][/QUOTE]
    Just a small correction: schema SYSTEM *will be* exported with full exp just like any other user (that is what it realy is: a normal user with DBA privileges). Also all the roles, users, privileges *will be* exported (and also imported). In fact, this is the only way to transfer the users from one database to the others without changing their passwords and without actually knowing their passwords. (If you should try to precreate them with the scripts gathered from your source database dictionary you should use "... IDENTIFIED BY VALUES '....' ...." trick that export uses internaly, but this is another story.)

Sreddy made a good point: you should precreate the tablespaces before importing, because the directory paths are expresed differently on NT and Unix (backslash and slash characters...), so import will fail that part on NT.

Another frequently mistake when transfering .dmp from one machine to the other vith ftp: don't forget to transfer it in binary mode!
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Going from Unix to NT.....

Why do I have cold chills running down my spine???
    (877)687-3227

Export/Import utilities is the only option for you because you are switching between databases and platform.
    Make sure to run catalog.sql, catproc.sql and utlrp.sql. If you are using replication then run utlrep.sql also.
    Sys user grants given to other users are not exported so use some application to just export the grants or find a script that will generate all the grants given from sys schema. I have the script email me I will email you the script of sys (table and col level grants ) they are important but not discusses a lot in issues because very less people use exp/imp for migration unless it's different, i used it.
    hope this helps
    Best Regards,
    Harsh Shah

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wjramsey [/i]
    [B]Going from Unix to NT.....

Why do I have cold chills running down my spine??? [/B][/QUOTE]
    Amen, brother.
    Jeff Hunter