DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rman backups

Hello All,
    I am currently using Rman to backup my databases. I would like to have all of the backup pieces written to one server instead of having them on the individual servers where the databases reside. All the databases that I'm trying to do this with are on NT, and all the databases are 8.1.6.3.0. Is there any way to set permissions and have the backups written to a mapped drive? Right now my backups are in batch jobs that are kicked off by the AT scheduler.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Frank

On RMAN you have the option to specify where the backups have to be written to explicitly. On your case, are you doing it to the disk, if so,set the parameters for for disk. There you spcify the the maped drive to copy the information on to.

Refer the oracle backup and recovery for disk "parms"

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hey Sam,
    First of all, no arguement here with windows bashing, But I have to work with what they give me, Funny though!

Second, I am doing a backup to disk, and I have mapped the drive, however the backup still fails with the following errors,

RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19504: failed to create file "L:/db_424782993_41_p1"
    ORA-27040: skgfrcre: create error, unable to create file
    OSD-04002: unable to open file
    O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.
    RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.BACKUPPIECECREATE

RMAN> ORA-27040: skgfrcre: create error, unable to create file

I kick the job off from the server where the recovery catalog resides, so I'm not sure which server I have to change permissions on. Is it from the box which initiates the job, or the box that has the database and writes to the mapped drive?

Thanks
    Frank

For my understanding, it looks like the access to the network drive is getting denied for the RMAN access. You might want to change the permissions on the catalog server. Secondly, try just allocationd and releasing the channel to that disk, to confirm that you are able to establish connection to that disk.

Sam

Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!