DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Certified DBA and So What?

Hybrid View

Question

I casually browse the Forums section and notice a bunch of guys got cerfitied but no jobs. My question is whether or not OCP is worth all the effort and cost? Oracle Corporation's stocks look like being trashed on Nasdaq trading floor these few days. Cheers still.

I always hire experience over certification. If I am looking at two candidates that have similar experience, I might give the nod to the person that has the OCP, but not always. There are lots of people out there that have gotten their OCP and still don't know squat about Oracle.

If I am looking to fill an entry level slot, I might look at somebody that has no experience but has shown the initiative to go out and get the OCP.
    Jeff Hunter

Thumbs up Try to take first test!

I understand lots of guru does not like ocp.
    To me OCP is like college degree (4 years), but worth more. With ocp you can get an interview, and opportunity to prove yourself.

Now, to all those guru, try to take first test without real study, and honestly let us know how you did it. You suppose to make 100%, because you act like, who knows every thing!

Thanks

Re: Try to take first test!

Hardly. Possessing an OCP shows that you can read a $99 book and get 66% of the questions right on a $125 test. When interviewing OCP's I always like to ask them why they got certified. The ones that got their OCP to make more money or be more marketable get shown the door. Those people that do it to become a better DBA or for personal satisfaction are the people who I pay more attention to.
    Jeff Hunter

Re: Re: Try to take first test!

Hi, Jeff,

Do you have some positions available right now or in the near future for entry level DBA role? I think i'm the person who really want to become better DBA.

Thanks,
    Please contact with me if you like:
    bdong11@hotmail.com

Thumbs up MINDSET AGAINST OCP

Dear Mr. Hunter:

Have you taken any of the test, you are criticizing about your self.

How long you are hiring, or interviewing oracle dba?

Without reading (as you say $99 book), you will not going to know what is new…………
    By the way Math 101, book also cost around $99 (today's market), when I took it years ago. Do you think that is worthless?

You may have some problem with Oracle Corp, but do not take it out of some one who trying to learns and make them better oracle professionals.

By the way, I am an Oracle certified dba, for last 3 years. I got my ocp after two years of experience. I believe I learn lots of additional issues while studying for ocp test.

Thanks for your inside, I may need to use, how to answer your kind of mindset when I go for my next interview.

Thanks,

I am with Mariest
    I am not a guru neither an OCP but I consider experience over certification is better. You might wonder why, simply because certification is academic.
    I used to have a friend who was really good at Maths because he spent the wholeday doing exercises but same style of exercises unfortunately when the style of exam changed he couldnt do it at all.
    A while back someone posted in this forum saying that he is an OCP but he couldnt answer any of the question which were being posted in the forum and he was requesting for some advices of how to deal the kind of qwuestions that are been asked here
    I am planning to take OCP exams but just to boost self confidence and learn details that I probably never use

Its a winning combination for experience + Certification

what say you ?

Cheers
    HS

Hi all,
    Those peoplewho did not get certification(may be they tried
    but didn't succeed and they get the job with some presure)
    offcourse they will never like to be on OCP side!!

I know some of them who get the job after attending
    some classeson Oracle and a BIG PRESURE(big guy belongs to
    the company in they hired as DBA) and after 10 to 15 years of
    experience they become .....!! GURU..!!!!!

Oraman, i strongly agree with you.
    Mr. hunter and pando, how you get your first job as DBA?

HTH,

Regards,
    Vimal Patel
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i
    Sun Solaris 8 Sys. Admin.
    A+

Oracle DBA position always ask EXPERIENCE. Would any experienced Oracle DBA like to tell what real Oracle DBA experience he or she had when found the first Oracle DBA job, and that 'experience' is better than having OCP certificate? After became Oracle DBA, just staying in DBA position you can say you have experience. When other experienced DBA got certified, what reason makes you think that only with experience can be better than experience plus OCP? Be brave to show people you could get 70% correct in all OCP tests because you are so experienced.