DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Missing archive log

Hi all,

How to recover a datafile, which needs media recovery? The DB is in archivelog mode, and unfortunately we've lost the backup file. When i try to recover using archivelog files, it gives an error 'couldn't open logfile filename'. The specified file is present in the archivelog destination. But recovery session is still stopping with this error. Is there any way to recover this datafile, with out the missed/corrupted logfie.

Thanx,
    Deenu Param

I am sorry my friend, you cannot recover a database without a backup file. You can apply archived redo files only after you restore your backed up datafiles.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Fortunately we've got backup datafiles of 2 days before. But my doubt is whether to restore all datafiles and apply archivelogs or can i just restore the datafile in question and apply archivelogs?. If i just restore the corrupt datafile and say recover then is the DB is consistent?. Bit confused here , pl explain how to recover. Thanx.
    Deenu Param

you can restore just the file you have to recover, you can do it three ways

First of all restore the backup datafile

1.- startup mount
    2.- recover database
    3.- alter database open

1.- startup mount
    2.- alter tablespace xxxxx offline
    where tablespace is the one that miss the file
    3.- alter database open
    4.- recover tablespace xxxxx
    5.- alter tablespace xxxxx online

1.- startup mount
    2.- alter database datafile yyyyy offline
    where datafile is the one that is missing
    3.- alter database open
    4.- recover datafile yyyyy
    5.- alter database datafile yyyyy online

with second and third way users can still work while you recover the database...

Thanx a lot Pondo. I am thinking of the 3rd option. Pl let me know whether i need to use the full path of the restored datafile (by thinking i restored into other mount point on UNIX os) or to use the old path, where the corrupt datafile resides?
    Deenu Param

ein?
    you restore the file to where the missing file resides so you have to use the patch of missing file... I dont understand why you have to use a new path?

I am sorry for not to making it clear. There is a datafile already, which is corrupt, but not missed in the old location, which is reported as not found. I am restoring the datafile by the same name onto the other location, since i don't want to delete the old file unless everything seems o.k.

Thanx
    Deenu Param