DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: when will it ever stop??

Cool

this gonna bother me for a long time. I had my database running for about 2months, with little activity. Today, figure I be a little bold, and ran the catproc, with archive log mode. so my archive sequence went from 76-743.

My question is:

when will this number stop? and if I don't have a need for this archived, can I just blow it off, and will it come back and bite me in the buttox?

for example, can I go through these archive logs and del all the ones for today?

thanks

you can delete them..but will be in trouble if you loose any data and need to recover.
    If you want to reset the counters then you need to open your database with resetlogs option.

Cheers,
    Vinit

First of all , once the instance and subsequent database created, I think, we are not suppose to run catproc again (if there is any contradiction from anybody else, Pl. clarify)

If you wish to run the database in archivelog mode, the number will keeps on increase.

Once if u decide to stop the archive mode (u feel it is not reqd. u can always proceed).

But deleting the archive log files when the database is in archive mode (without taking the backup of archive log files) will result to incomplete recovery, in case your database got corrupted.

I think from your questions, your database is not that much vital one. Is it so?
    Thanx
    Ramesh.

O.k This is what you got to do now. What kind of backup you folks do at your shop?
    Shutsown the database, take a cold backup of the database, control file and other required files. Then start you instance back. Now you are safe to delete all the archives that had happen before the shutdown.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Smile

This is just to respond to the comment above that you shouldn't re-reun catproc subsequent to the initial run after instance creation. I believe you do actually need to rerun it if you are doing replication on your database. This may have changed with latter versions of Oracle - as with the previous poster, do contradict me if this is wrong.