DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oracle Database Login...

If you are on the NT, do Ctrl-ALt-Del, ther e choose the taskmanager, then go ahead and kill the tnslsnr.exe dbsnmp.exe, vppdc.exe, jrew.exe, launch.exe and all the other relevent processes. then try starting the database as follows.

startup mount
    then
    alter database open;

If you are not successfull in that of shuting down, issue

shutdown immediate
    or shutdown abort

If you had issued shutdown, it would wait untill the connections are commited and released by the user. So you would want to issue shutdown immediate It will take a few seconds to minute. Then if that goes through, issue startup

Other wise issue startup force

Hope this would help you, good luck
    sam

Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Vinit,
    I tried Shutdown abort. It worked. Now i am able to shutdown the database only when i login as Internal. And that too i am not able to shutdown normally. I think the problem is with the NT software.

Karthi

I have my doubts..Can you shutdown your DB and get rid of any Oracle related processes which are still in the memory (hanged processes).
    Vinit

As I said earlier, just shutdown would wait for all the connection to be released and it will not indulge in killing the sessions, and it normally would take some time, or would wait untill the user exits. That is why oracle has the shutdown immediate. This would commit the changes to the database and then kill the sessions and shutdown the database. On the other hand when you issue dhutdown abort, the changes are not commited to the database, as a result when you start your database back, you would have to do a recovery to roll back the changes that are yet to be commited.

So normal word is "shutdown immediate"

To start up the database, you can do

startup

startup mount
    alter database open;

startup nomount
    alter database mount;
    alter database open;

If you just want to bounce the server, then you can issue

startup force

Hope this would help you to undestand the diffence in the concepts.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I think the agent is running..That's why you get this error. Try giving dbsnmp_stop (at the listener prompt) and the shutdown the DB..Then after starting the DB give dbsnmp_start.

SPN