DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Database Login...

Hi everyone,
    Now this is the environment that i am into. I am creating a database for demo purpose. I have installed Oracle Enterprise Edition 8.1.6 in Windows NT machine. During the creation of the database the system was connected in LAN. But i have created the database in my machine locally. So when i remove my machine for the LAN i am not able to login into my database. The database is in my machine. I am using a laptop. Could u assist me in knowing the problem. It is urgent.

Karthi

Go to your services and check whether there are oracle services, and they had been started. If not start them (like listeners and etc) then make sure that your database is up. Using oradim, start your database instance. then try connecting to the instance. From the sql for a fresh install it would be

sys/change_on_install
    system/manager

Try that and let us know what the result is.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

One point I forgot to point out is that on your laptop make sure that you have the tnsnames.ora file configured to look at the new installation on your NT. Then try connecting.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Angry

I tried stopping the database services and starting them again. But still the problem is there. Is that anything to do with the networking part. Please advise...

If you've installed Oracle 8i on your laptop then it has nothing to do with the network. Is the database up..? Pls check the background processes and the alert log for details.
    Have you configured your listener.ora ?

Vinit

Hi,
    When i went into the alert log file i get this message.

SHUTDOWN: waiting for logins to complete.

Does this message mean that there are more number of logins that are present.

Karthi

it means that some user is still connected to your Oracle server and is waiting for it to disconnect. Pls kill any sessions which is still connected to your DB. This will bring down the Instance/DB.
    Startup again. This should work fine.

Cheers,
    Vinit

One more alternative..#
    svrmgrl
    connect internal
    shutdown abort

Then bring up the DB -

startup
    Vinit

No vinit,
    I am the only person who is accessing the database. When i give shutdown it hangs. This is an additional problem. Could u explain this please

Karthi

Pls give shutdown abort as given in my earlier reply.
    Vinit