Named Pipes and TCPIP
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Named Pipes and TCPIP

What's the difference between the 2 network protocols..

Named Pipes and TCP/IP ?

I have installed Oracle 8.0.6 here on couple of machines. Whenever it comes to setting this I get confused. My boss told me that we should use TCP/IP. But sometimes that didn't work
    giving errors like NO LISTNER and I wasn't able to connect to database. So I changed it to Named Pipes and it worked !
    But today I tried to use Named pipes on the different machine connecting to same database and it gave me error TNS: Unable to connect...( I am sorry but I do not have exact error message right now).
    I did do all basic checks like PATH, tnsnames.ora file, services etc.

I tried to read about this on Oracle website but no luck. Does any one know a book which explains this in detail ?

Can some one help me please ?

Thanks
    Sonali
    Sonali

You can expect the TCP/IP to be installed on all the servers and it does a secured packet delivery. As a result most of the times your packets are safly deliverd. Unlike udp, tcp confirms delivery too. Named pipes are mostly used on the windows system. Since there had been a number of known hacks with IPC, for the safty, most of the Network Admin prefer to use TCP over IPC. Some places where they are paranoid about the security, use TCP with SSL (secured socket layer)

Named Pipes:
    An interprocess control (IPC) protocol for exchanging information between two applications, possibly running on different computers in a network. Named Pipes are supported by a number of network operating systems (NOSs), including Netware and LAN Manager.

TCP/IP:
    Abbreviation for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, the suite of communications protocols used to connect hosts on the Internet. TCP/IP uses several protocols, the two main ones being TCP and IP. TCP/IP is built into the UNIX operating system and is used by the Internet, making it the de facto standard for transmitting data over networks. Even network operating systems that have their own protocols, such as Netware, also support TCP/IP.

Hope this would help you to undestand the concepts.
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!