DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Urgent- archive

I temporarily stop automatic archiving in the morning while I backup the archivelogs. When I look at OEM often (and even now (my job has finished a long time ago and automatic archiving is back on), I find that there are many archiver (background processes). Can I kill them?

Why are they still running? I checked my autmatic archiving is still on. Also someone is doing an update which is not so big, I feel this might be slowing the system down, but am concerned as to what to do.

Please help,
    Nirasha

Have you setup multiple arch processes, master or slave?? or are you using the parameter dbwr_io_slaves??

I fixed it (well for now).

To answer your question, not I do not have any of them set (slaves 0, archive process 1). I found a note in a forum that said that this was some sort of bug in Oracle. Though the person in the forum said 8.1.5., time was critical (and the fix looked harmless), so I did it and it is fine now.

For anyone who is interested the fix is:

alter system set log_archive_max_processes=10; (or some number higher than the number of processes running)

alter system archive log stop;
    ===>> this kills the ARCH processes

alter system set log_archive_max_processes=1;

alter system archive log start;
    ===>> this will start back only one