DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oem - discover nodes

We have databases with the same name residing on two different nodes. When I use the "Discovery Nodes" feature in OEM, it discovers the first database on the first node properly, but it fails on the second database on the second node. The error it gives is: "Database with same name already discovered". How can I avoid this ?

Thanks for your input
    Neelima

Yes that is correct. OEM doesn't map the instance to the node. The primary clash would come, when it tries to list the databases, there it would get confused. The only solution is to rename that instance or drop the other and discover the new.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

After some trial and error, I found that if we change the service name in init.ora and tnsnames.ora to include database name and host name,
    ie servicename = dbname.host

then OEM is able to discover both the databases.

Is this alright to do ? I have left all other parameters such as db_name and instance_name as it was earlier, just to show the database name and only changed the service name parameter.

Yeah, thats fine. but when you make such a change, make sure that the appications that are going to use the old service name were also aware of this change of service name. Other wise, they would fail, when they try making connection to the instance.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!