DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rollback and Hang in an application

Two questions from bright guys:

1. In a situation that I got the error max extent reached for Rollback R01-XX which solution is the best:

Enlarge the sise of each extent
    Change max to unlimited ( what about V 7.3 )
    Add another RBS

2. The end user comes to me and said its application hang when he issue a search ( behind the scene an Oracle select and Oracle and listners are ok and you can connect from sql plus client.

Can you tell me couple of your first professional steps to resolve this problem. For example for first try do you have a look at v$session or V$lock? where do you start? How can you exatly specify which command cause the grief?

Thanks a bunch

The Best Solution:

If you have control over the application source, create a big rollback segment specific to that kinda action and use that big roll back segment for that type of transaction.

Alternatives:

Both work(Add and change max_extents), but you have no of extents limitation on v7. I don't remember its 7.2/7.3.

Enlarging size of extent will not help much, as it will grow/spread into no of extents until max extents reached. Extent_size isn't the real things thats creating problem for ur application.
    Reddy,Sam