DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alter database backup controlfile

I backup my controlfiles using both these methods:

alter database backup controlfile to trace;

alter database backup controlfile to
    '/u07/backup/fndry_p/database/control.10032001204745';

The second one I noticed actually copies the control file to that location. I am using hotbackups (tablespace in backup mode etc), I was wondering if this copy was valuable. I mean the database is up while I used this command. If something happened to all my controlfiles, could I use this to restore?

Thanks in advance,
    Nirasha

The file it was created contains just the necessary create command for control file.

Once it hase been created initialise the logs and proceed in case you need to perform a disaster recovery.
    Thanx
    Ramesh.

The first command (to trace) creates the create command, but the second actually copies a control file. I tried opening it (the second one) and it was different from the first one. And the second one matches the actual size of control file.

I was trying to figure out whether the second one was of any use since it was done with the database open.

Nirasha

Hi,

Backup controlfile to trace gives you the script to create the control file. You can modify this script to change certain parameters like max_data_files, history information etc.

Backup controlfile to a location, backs up the controlfile at that instance in binary file. You can use this binary version as a backup controlfile for your recovery.

Baliga