DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: INSTALLATION

Exclamation

Actually what i have to do is :
    I have two servers and if one server goes down i have to use the another server to bring the database up, and the second server has to read the database which is existing in the second server.... is it possible without parallel server option. what are the steps i have to take if i want ot do like this.

We are having two HP-9000 (64bit) servers with MC service guard and operating system is HP-UX version 11.0 and we are using shared hard disks for the database, Now, I installed Oracle Enterprise Edition version 8.1.6 (64 bit) on the first server, installed only binaries on the local hard disk and the database on the shared hard disks. Now what is my doubt is on the second server what i have to install (means only binaries or with database), if i want to install database i am not able to see the shared harddisks on the second server. what i have to do now...?

I spoke to the project leader who is going to install the application he is telling to install the database on both sides means (after installing the oracle and database on the first server, he asked me to switch of the first server then u will find the shared harddisk on the sercond server then u install the oracle binaries on the local hard disk and u overwrite the database which is existing previously on the shared hard disk) like that he told, and if i ask the Oracle customer support people and Hp-Ux system administrator they are telling no need to switch off the server just install binaries on the second server.

After installing binaries on the second server they asked me to switch off the first server and change the ip address of the second server to ip address of the first server then u try to startup the database like that they are telling, is it possible to do like that......? please tell me immediately. i have to install now.

bye
    ram kishore

Question

hai,

we are not using parallel server option we are using MC service guard (from HP) i did as u said but when i start the database i am getting the error control file block size mismatch. what to do, please give the full detail procedure how to get rid of this problem my mail id is d_kishore@rediffmail.com

pls mail me full procedure

regards
    kishore

ram kishore

Cool

why not check out standby database option of oracle .atleast for me standby databse seems to be a perfect solution for your problem

Angry VERY URGENT

Hai,
    Morning i tried to connect the database thru the second server by switching of
    the first server, but i am not able to connect database which is residing in
    shared harddisk thru the second server, is there any procedure or links we have
    to give...? and where i have to place the init.ora file in local hard disk or
    shared harddisk. and i placed all the controlfiles and datafiles, rbs, redo,
    temp, users tablespaces in shared harddisk. is there any changes i have to do
    in the second server to read the database from shared harddisk. i tried by
    changing the hostname to the server one in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora file
    then also i am not able to connect... what to do now.... pls help me
    immediately.... it is very urgent.
    regards
    kishore
    ram kishore